Wednesday, August 28, 2013

*The EASIEST Chili Cornbread



I was in a panic about what to take a potluck dinner tonight. My step-sister had shared a yummy recipe with me for Chili Cornbread that I thought was a good possibility because it was so simple, and we had already spent over two hours in the kitchen making that infernal vegetable juice. (I really need to get a better attitude.  I'm working on it.  Sort of.)

The original recipe was pretty simple: Add 1 pound of browned hamburger to 2 cans of chili; top with Jiffy cornbread made with Mexicorn. Bake.

I wanted even SIMPLER.  The less time in the kitchen, the better, on days like today.  Anyone who wishes for more time for reading and relaxing can relate!

Here's what I did for The Easiest Chili Cornbread.

Ingredients:
3 cans of chili (I used Stagg brand: Silverado beef, Classic, and Vegetable Garden)
2 c. Fiesta blend cheese, divided in half.
1 can Mexicorn, undrained.
1 bag of Marie Callendar's Lowfat Honey Butter Cornbread (sounds like an oxymoron to me, but I'm not going to argue...I just want to keep things easy)  May  I suggest here that you might want to forego adding the Mexicorn and keep it REAL simple by just buying the cornbread mix that already has the corn and peppers added to it?  Next time, I will.)

1.  Spray large casserole with Pam.  Pour in two cans of chili, sprinkle 1 c. cheese over that, then pour in last can of chili.

2.  Mix up cornbread according to package instructions.  Then add in the UNDRAINED Mexicorn, and one cup of cheese.  Mix well.

3.  Top chili with cornbread mixture and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown.

It doesn't get much easier than that, folks.  Now we just need to head up the canyon, and our dinner can keep warm in the oven while we visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!