Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Best Life Ever!

It has become crystal clear to me that when it comes time for me to say goodbye to my loved ones at the end of my life, if I want to be able to say “This was the best life ever!” some things are going to have to change. 


And by "some things," I mean me. I’m pretty sure if I’m going to be able to say I had the best life ever, there are some things I will want to do a whole lot more, and there are some things I will want to do a whole lot less. 


You guys, I retired at the end of 2014 so I could marry the love of my life, and join him in Illinois. Chapter Three of my life officially began the day I turned in my classroom keys in Utah, and boarded a plane for Chicago.

Do you know what I have to show for these last three years? I am so embarrassed to tell you this, especially because Chuck has encouraged me from the very start to enjoy every single minute of retirement; to make the most of every day. He spends about three hours a day in his car, commuting to a high stress job with so much responsibility, while I stay home and do what? Ugh. 

Facebook. Mostly I have spent every waking minute on Facebook, looking at funny videos, sneering at obnoxious posts ranting about this or that, and figuring out what my alter ego’s name would be based on what I last ate, and what I was wearing. 

To be fair, I really was trying to make my time on Facebook count. I tried so hard to send birthday greetings to all of our friends. I checked in with our family and close friends. If I knew someone were struggling with grief, illness, or depression, I tried to send uplifting messages and graphics. But the reality of it all was, I wasted one heck of a lot of time getting sucked into the black hole that is social media. 

I’ve decided when I am an old woman, I don’t want to have set any records in time spent checking email, Instagram, Snapchat,  or Facebook. I don’t want to look back over my life, and know that I practically wore a hole in the couch from sitting in the same spot, every day, avoiding opportunities to serve others, make time for friends and family, and leaving this world a better place. 



For the last three weeks, I have begun doing something radical, and it makes me feel amazing. Instead of grabbing my phone in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning, I now go through my “Miracle Morning” SAVERS routine. 

My morning tasks can take as much, or as little time as I like. Whether I spend seven minutes, or seventy minutes, the way I start my morning impacts the rest of my day. 

These last 22 days have been charged with energy and positivity since I’ve begun my day with Silence, Affirmations and Visualizations, Exercise, Reading, and Scribing. I do these seven things each day, before anything else. Then I try to tackle one or two big tasks I would historically procrastinate, but to make my chores more palatable, I listen to podcasts, or watch a show while I get my work done. 

Because I am retired, and the end of my life is much closer than the end of most of yours, I’ve decided to be pro-active, and make the most of each day. 

There are things I wish to eliminate from my life, or at least minimize. I don't want to waste my precious time on social media, so if I decide to go online, I want to be intentional, and have a purpose. I want to be so busy doing good things that I don't have time for worry, regrets, or anxiety. I want to spend less time worrying about myself, and focus on the people I love. 

I want my life to be full of good memories of time with Chuck, our children, our friends, and our dogs. I want to learn more about how to be a better person, and I want to serve others. I want to know God, and love others the way Christ loves us. I want to create with my camera, with a paintbrush, with a pencil, and with my computer. I want to be strong and vibrant, and I want to eat nutritious food, and food that brings me pleasure. I want to be debt-free, and to live a minimalist lifestyle, in a home that is clean, clutter-free, and cozy. I want to explore places I’ve never been, and spend time with our family. I want to try new recipes, hike new trails, and make new friends. I want to read lots of books, and listen to inspirational podcasts. These are the things I want to do more.

What about you? What do “you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” When you get to the end of your life, what is it you would regret not having done? What memories will you savor; those things you will know in your heart were the things you did that made a difference?

For me, I’m going to do less “virtual living,” and more actual living. I’m going to Facebook a little less, and live a little more. I’m going to surf the internet a little less, and get outdoors a little more. I’m going to live my best life today, so that when I get to the end of my wild and precious life, I will be ready, knowing I gave my family and friends the best I had to give, and I lived the best life I could. 

4 comments:

  1. That’s really powerful - I’m proud of you! Love you bunches!
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dan! It just makes me so happy to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. I checked out that book because of your comments. I can't tolerate the writing or voice, so I just skimmed for the practices. I didn't love them, either, but they did make me think about what I do find centering, focusing, and empowering. I've been using a little self-designed routine, and it's been good. Mine is in two parts--a very short, quick bit I can use before I have to tackle the morning getting-them-off-to-school tasks, and then a second segment that takes an hour or so in those first lovely quiet moments after they've gone. I started two days before Spring Break, so it's been a spotty start, but now that school is back in session I intend to make it a solic part of my routine sothat by the time school is out for the summer it will be fairly entrenched.

    I've also committed to some service work starting tomorrow, and I've kept up on the housekeeping much better in the past couple of weeks. I struggle with routine and thrive on novelty, so things that really require steadiness and pattern are challenging for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janna, the book made me think, too. Chuck and I have been talking about the concept of what would make our lives more fulfilling. I was settling for mediocrity in so many areas of my life. There is no secret order or set time limit; the point is we have to be intentional. I wasn't, so this book fanned a flame that had been dormant for far too many years. I'm glad you're finding something that works for you, too! I have always admired how much you are able to accomplish, and usually with a smile on your face!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!