Saturday, April 7, 2018

Gratitude



"Gratitude is not a passive response to something we have been given; gratitude arises from paying attention, from being awake in the presence of everything that lives within and without us." -David Whyte



Right this minute, I want to pay attention; I want to be awake to and aware of the things small and big which add a dimension of joy to my life. 



Early morning coffee in a ginormous mug. 

Sitting on the couch with as much of Bristol as will fit on my lap.


Our unborn granddaughter Aly will be coming to earth any day now.

The soft glow of lava lamps.

A husband who loves me. 


Photographs on the fridge of the people we love.

The fragrance of hyacinths blooming in the kitchen. 


Anything that connects us to our kids: FaceTime, phone calls, texts, Snapchats, videos, visits. Just knowing they make an effort to keep in touch makes me feel so happy. 

Things I typically take for granted: a car that runs, clean water, a functioning furnace, a warm bed, retirement.

The sweet, gentle nature of Sami who would rather receive love and attention than food.


Time to meditate, read, and write.

Hearing an owl at 4:30 in the morning while walking under a waning moon.



A soft denim shirt over an even softer t-shirt.

My "new to me" LaZBoy couch, overstuffed and oh-so-comfortable, given to me by a friend last week.

Extra frosting on homemade cinnamon rolls.

Stained glass windows at my favorite consignment shop.



Early morning walks with the dogs, and Gentle Leader head collars that make early morning walks with the dogs a pleasant experience now. No more feeling like my arm is going to be dislocated from my shoulder when Sami gets excited by a squirrel, or a human, or a leaf.

Bitmojis from Chuck. 



Soft fleece blankets. 

Discovering old photographs at my mother-in-law's house, and realizing I would have had the biggest crush on Chuck if I had known him in high school.

The Bennorth boys. Chuck is the one in the middle.

The promise of a new day; a trip into the city to photograph flowers and Brazilian capoeira performers, and time with our Illinois kids, visiting Grandma with them, having dinner and playing games together.

What about you? What do you have to be grateful for? What will you notice when you become aware of the gifts in this moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!