Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Something Sexy about the Rain (Photographs of the Monsoon Season in Utah)

"There's somethin' sexy 'bout the rain..." I just love that song, and it comes to mind every time it starts to rain. Last night, after a very long day that had started at 3:30 that morning, I crawled into my bed after a hot soak in the tub, and I listened to the rain on my metal roof. I could not have asked for a sweeter lullaby.

Supply and demand can determine a commodity's value in the world of economics. In my own life, I have seen that relationship determine the value of the weather, as well. Having grown up in Virginia, I never really appreciated the rain. There was just so much of it.

When I went away to college in Utah, I remember talking to my dad at the end of September. He told me, "Out of the last 30 days, we have had 28 days of rain in the Old Dominion."  Yeah, I didn't miss it. I was so glad to be living in a desert, where you could plan activities and be pretty certain they wouldn't have to be cancelled on account of rain. I could walk to class without an umbrella. Except for the constant need for lotion to moisturize my terribly dry skin, I didn't miss the rain a bit!

Over the years, I have developed a deep fondness for precipitation, all of it. I love drizzly rains, great downpours, afternoon thunderstorms,  brief hailstorms, gentle snowfalls, and even heavy blizzards. I have learned to appreciate all types, in their scarcity. Whether it's raining or snowing, I feel like I have permission to stay indoors and read until my heart's content; no guilt necessary!

During the late summer "monsoon season" in the sleepy little town of Marysvale, we are blessed with fog-laden vistas for many days during the late summer season. The rain keeps the temperatures cool, and the grass green. Rainy weather gives us clouds, and clouds add visual interest to an otherwise clear, blue sky. We have days and days of fog, afternoons of rainbows, and mornings and evenings with the most lovely sunrises and sunsets.

I'd like to share some of my favorite photographs with you, some taken with my Canon, some with my cell phone.  May you feel the same peace I felt while experiencing them first-hand.

























Early this morning,

I discovered

the mountain is gone,

faded from view

by the fog. 



2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place, and beautiful photos. Love seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Marysvale. Thank heavens it's only a 25 minute ride down the canyon.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!