Wednesday, October 30, 2013

*A Meditation on Physics

Remnants of Autumn

We did it. We really, really did it.  I took our Boston Terrier for a walk.  Big deal, you say?  On some days, after some periods of time, yes, it is a big deal.

I could have used any number of excuses not to go. It was cold.  The mountains were foggy, and the weather was overcast.  It looked like winter. I'm not quite ready for winter.  My muscles still ache from yoga.  I have excuses galore.

The miracle today is I overcame my physics problem; you know the one:  "An object at rest will remain at rest."  It's too easy to rest, and remain at rest.  It's too easy to take the path of least resistance.

As I made the turn on the corner, just past the Russian Olive trees, I was delighted to see the autumn colors in full force in front of the nearby condominiums.  The reds and oranges filled me up, and it was easier to ignore the fact that many of my favorite trees are now bare.

We spied the ducks enjoying what remains of the water in the canal, just sitting there in the puddles, taking it easy, soaking up this sweet time before the snow flies.  I could relate; I need to soak up this time, too.  I need to wring all of the goodness that is left in this passing season.

The raccoons had left deep footprints in the mud along the banks of the canal, their well-worn paths more evident as the rushes fade from greens to browns.  I strained to see prints from our favorite foxes, knowing they had been there, even if I couldn't detect their presence.

As we passed by the plot of land the city has declared a sanctuary, I noticed two brilliant red leaves beneath the olive trees.  I didn't see the trees from which they fell, and assumed some wind had whirled them a distance before dropping them here for me.  I took them for my own, to add to my collection.

I took in the fresh air; I ignored the sounds of the freeway nearby. This walking meditation may be the only chance I have today for quiet reflection and outdoor activity.  I'm so glad I didn't give in to the temptation to stay at rest, for now perhaps physics will work in my favor for the rest of the day:  "An object in motion will remain in motion..."


2 comments:

  1. I love your line, "I need to wring all of the goodness that is left in this passing season." I feel a walk coming on ...
    Thanks, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got your walk in, too, Carol. I know what that little bit of activity does for us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!