Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Denise Does Denver: Ten Must-See Spots in the Denver Area

Denver was the perfect destination for our extended weekend girls' getaway.  There is plenty to see, plenty to do, and plenty of wonderful food to try.  These are my top ten suggestions of things you might want to try the next time you're in the Mile High City.  (Just click on the name of the attraction that interests you to go directly to the website.)



SNOOZE


1. Snooze, an A.M. Eatery
Be prepared for a wait, but a wait that is worth it!  The breakfast offerings here are out of this world. Complimentary cups of coffee are available for customers while they wait.  We enjoyed a walk around the neighboring Historic District while we waited for our breakfast.  The Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes are TO DIE FOR.


BELMAR for shopping!




2.  BelMar is located in Lakewood.  It features wonderful shopping, all within walking distance of each other.  Neiman-Marcus, Nordstrom Rack, Chico's, Coldwater Creek. These are some of my favorite stores at which I window shop, not actually spend money.  I'm a retired teacher, you know. 


Denver Art Museum



3. The Denver Art Museum houses a wonderful variety of art, which goes without saying, I suppose, and more sitting areas available than I had even hoped. (My back was giving me fits, so if I seem overly excited about seating areas, you'll understand.) While we were there, the featured exhibition called Spun (textile) was there until September 22, 2013. 

Molly Brown House


4.  The Molly Brown House was a delightful surprise to me. When my girlfriends wanted to go, I really didn't understand their fascination with the home.  "Don't you know about The Unsinkable Molly Brown?" they asked me.

"Well, why didn't you say the whole name?  Of course, I know about HER." Yeah, I'm not as cultured as I would like to think.



Who doesn't love farmers' markets?


5.  Cherry Creek Fresh Market  We love farmers' markets.  With all of the free samples offered by the vendors, we hardly needed to purchase breakfast, but we did!  We bought Pupusas (a South American dish) and Breakfast Tamales.  We took home a loaf of whole grain bread, peaches, nectarines, and plums to eat later.  (Ask the girls; I'm always hungry.)





Little India
Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Jalfrazie were both excellent.  My Naan was a little on the overcooked side, but the parts I nibbled around the charred bits were yummy.




Denver Botanic Gardens
We lucked out there!  Admission was free on the Saturday that we went because it coincided with the annual bulb and plant sale.  It would be worth the cost of admission; it is a wonderful collection of trees, shrubs, flowers, and other plants.



Tattered Cover


8.  Tattered Cover Bookstore (near the 16th Street Mall).  I was hoping this was a used book store, but mostly it's like an upscale Barnes and Noble, but it's "INDIE."  How sad is it that it has taken me until just now to understand that term means "independent."  I'm embarrassed to admit I figured it was short for India; I'd only heard of Indie Films, and I was thinking Bollywood, which was formerly called Hindi cinema.  Hindi=Indie in my world, okay?  There were novelty gifts and stationery items placed among the best sellers.  It's a cool INDIE bookstore with comfortable seating available for the browsers.


16th Street Mall


9.  16th Street Mall.  There were street performers, a free bus shuttle that drives up and down the length of the mall, pianos placed on each block, and plenty of restaurants and shops.  I've added Maggiano's Little Italy to my mini bucket list.  


Yes, a Whole Foods grocery store was exciting to this small town girl. 

10.  Whole Foods, Belmar and Cherry Creek locations.  Who gets this excited about a grocery store?  Moi.  My kids and I could eat here morning, noon, and night, and have done just that before!


Belmar boasts one of the largest Whole Foods, which is like going to Disney Land for me.  The variety of foods offered there just blows my mind.

The specialty items offered include:  gelato, fire-baked pizza, roasted chicken and beef, salad and soup bar, roasted veggies and entrées, cookies and bars just like mom's, and a coffee bar.  See what I'm saying? You don't want to miss this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!