Friday, October 18, 2013

Celebrating This Boy


October 18 is the day we celebrate this boy: Bridger Waters.


When you are told that you cannot have something you want desperately, and that you shouldn't get your hopes up, it is quite exciting to have the privilege of having that very thing, even if it takes longer than you'd hoped. When I was a young mother of two, I just KNEW there was another baby waiting to be mine. I just knew it. And yet. I only had two babies, and they were getting older with each passing year. The doctors told me it probably wasn't going to happen.  

After many years passed, I finally told God, "I have done all I can. I can be happy as a mother of two perfect children. If there is to be another baby, I leave it in your hands." And just like that, within a year of letting go of my expectations, I was blessed. We were richly blessed with the miracle that is my son Bridger. His ten-year-old brother and eight-year-old sister welcomed their baby brother with open arms.  

Today we celebrate his sixteenth birthday, and it will be official:  he will get his driver's license and he will become much more independent. He will no longer need my services as his personal chauffeur. I will surely miss our hour long drives through the canyon each day to and from school. It is our time to talk, to ponder, to catch up, to listen.  

This last year we have had some great road trips together. He has been my co-pilot, sharing the driving as we traveled to Denver to see his sweet sister, and heading to Bryce Canyon to visit a good friend.  He has tackled the snarl of traffic on our trips to our house in in the city up north, a three hour ride from our rural home that takes us past Salt Lake City, and he has managed the swerving canyon roads with a conscientious attitude. He drives the way he lives his life, with purpose and intention, laughing along the way.

Bridger is an amazing young man.  He is the voice of reason when I feel stressed. He is my Jiminy Cricket when naughty words escape my lips, or I drive too fast through the canyon. He is my hiking and biking partner. He is brilliant, asking questions I would never think to ask, seeking answers diligently when I don't know how to help. He is my Music Man, entertaining me with his guitar, and pursuing his dream of learning to be the best tuba player, as he also plays the trumpet, trombone, and wishes he could play the bass.  

UPDATE: Today, October 18, 2016 is Bridger's 19th birthday. He is a freshman at Dixie State University, and singing in the choir and playing for the band while he gets his general studies done. Not only did he learn to play the bass, he also plays the guitar. He is so talented. I'm hoping he has the best birthday ever. 

Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy.  I am so thankful for the miracle that is you.
Going the extra mile with private lessons...he would love to play in an orchestra, but for now enjoys playing
in our local Sevier Valley Symphony.

We biked together for the first time this fall along the Ogden River.
Love his great attitude and cheerfulness.  Yes, he is one of my sweetest blessings...my miracle boy.



Cultural events are a special treat.  We love going to concerts and Broadway productions. For his sixteenth birthday, we took his cousin Tatiana with us to see STOMP.
These hands are strong hands.  They fix things, they soothe things, they lift things, and they make beautiful music.





17 years old, bass player for Grizzly Bear Whiplash
18 years old
19 years old





12 comments:

  1. Children are truly the blessings of a mother's heart. Happy Birthday, Bridger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I read this story. Happy belated Birthday. I told your mom that my mom's favorite saying was...'you are where you are, doing what you're suppose to be doing'...well... I am glad Greg was doing what he was doing that afternoon when he met you out on Bullion Canyon. That afternoon seems so long ago but I'm glad he met you and helped you when you fell off your skateboard. I'm getting to know your mom through the book club and hopefully through our love of pictures. I heard you out on your ATV today. Hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful response! We had a fun day at Bryce. You and I will have to go soon! I learned a very important lesson yesterday...take BOTH lenses. Bryce is not the best place for telephotos!!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post! I have my own Bonus Boy, born when his brothers were eight and six. I loved seeing your pictures and reading about your memories. I used to enjoy the drive to school with my sons. How I wish those times could have lasted forever. These days I smile, like you do, grateful for memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can totally relate to having that special caboose baby. :-) Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your birthday boy, and that first pic kills me - so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. He has been a delight all his life.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Debbie: this is beautiful tribute. I loved all the images, though that first one of him as the little blonde hair tyke with the lab puppy is to die for. He is a wonderful and accomplished you man no doubt about it. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridger sure likes you, Tonia. You met us when we were healing from a rough patch in our lives. He is a wonderful young man; I'm glad you know him!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday Bridger! October is a great month for a birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. His great attitude and cheerfulness is conveyed in your words and images. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!