Tuesday, October 15, 2013

*Shaking Off the Sadness of a Passing Season

I will be the first to admit that I had a bad attitude this morning. Maybe not a bad one as much as a slightly sad one. My mind felt troubled.  It didn't take long to figure out what the problem was.  I was not living in this present moment.  I was worrying about the future. Whenever that happens, mild anxiety sets in, anxiety and a little bit of depression.  

I had been watching the trees change from greenish yellow to yellow to golden to rust to bare all too quickly.  Life seemed to be passing me by.  Before I know it, there will be fat fluffy snowflakes drifting outside my window panes, and sweet autumn will be a thing of the past.

One of my favorite remedies when I find myself not living in the moment is photography.  Taking pictures forces me to be fully present, to notice the world around me.  I knew I needed to get outside and focus my lens and my mind on nature.  

I was afraid that all I would find would be confirmations of what I dreaded most:  the end of this beautiful autumn season and signs of the coming winter...bare limbs with the last straggling leaves clinging to them, or small drifts of snow. But the more I looked, the more I found to enjoy.  

As it turned out, I had TWO outdoor experiences today, one solo in the morning, and one later in the day with Marley.  I took my camera both times,  and soaked in all of the beauty around me...clouds and fog, leaves and limbs, mountains and trees, rocks and rivers.  I took in big gulps of air to clear my head.  I soon realized that by worrying about the coming winter, I was missing out on what is left of my favorite season.  

How often do we catch ourselves fretting over things that are not even part of our reality?  It is such a waste of precious energy.  I feel the need to chastise myself because not only is the coming winter not something to worry about, I love winter, too.  Part of me was concerned that I was not getting outside often enough to enjoy the pleasures of this passing autumn.  It seems so obvious that all I needed to do was go outside, but when we aren't thinking clearly, the obvious becomes shrouded in our confused thoughts.

How grateful I am for the moments I was able to have in solitude, and later, with my Boston Terrier. We need to enjoy every possible moment outside while we can.

My friend's field receives its final watering until next year.

The Old Church in Joseph

The Sevier River

I could look at these colors all day...

The foliage in Marysvale Canyon offers varieties of colors and textures.

Yes, I stretched out in the middle of the road for this shot!

Red Maples...my favorite.

Even the leaves seemed grateful for the sun today.


Our view from Cottonwood Canyon this afternoon.


Although some trees are nearly barren, there is beauty to be found in their simplicity.  I will continue to seek out these jewels of autumn until they are completely replaced by naked trees and snow-covered landscapes.  By then, I will be ready for winter, and all of the stark beauty she offers me.

2 comments:

  1. Anxiety and depression easily take hold of me if I allow it. I remind myself often to look around and be grateful...and when I do look and breathe in the moment my heart fills with gratitude. Thank you so much for sharing the beauty of your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your blog...it feels like a quick visit back home with some love and encouragement from a friend.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!