Monday, October 21, 2013

A Small Town Girl Finds Her Place in the Universe

2013



This post was first published on October 21, 2013. Last summer, my blog had been read 100,000 times. In the last nine months, that number jumped to 150,000. That is just so cool, and I am blown away by the growing number of readers.


A more recent photo of me, with my biggest fan. 2016

I'm just a small-town girl, living out her dreams as a retired teacher in the American midwest. My goals are minimalist in nature, trying to get the most out of each moment as it comes. My dreams do not include BIGGER and MORE. We live in a modest, comfortable home in a safe neighborhood, and I would not have it any other way.  

Having an entire day stretch before me with no commitments or obligations seems like such a gift. I love my "retired routine," and that includes my daily writing. 

This week it hit me that I have a growing audience. There have been a couple of circumstances that have allowed my blog to reach people from many parts of our beautiful world. I have a friend on Facebook who is an international celebrity who took the time to share my blog. I will be forever grateful to her for that gesture. High school friends from across the country have reconnected through Facebook. And I have made friends on the new social network of Happier.com. 2017 Update: Since moving to Illinois, I have met so many wonderful people in the suburbs of Chicago, and at the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin. I would like to thank each of you for taking the time to read my blog.

When I first started blogging this summer (2013), I had a following of a dozen family members and friends. I was touched that they bothered to read it at all. Over the next couple of months, more friends began to read Randomocity. And then, just lately, more and more people seem to be checking it out. To say I feel humbled and grateful for this is such an understatement.

The internet has brought the global world into my home, and faraway friends into my heart. I find myself cheering on a dear friend in Japan battling cancer. Sweet friends have reunited as the internet has fueled our friendships. I've been brushing up on my French with a couple of college students. There have been eye-opening online conversations about vegemite and honeyeaters with friends in Australia. I am discovering that Canadians celebrate their own Thanksgiving before we enjoy ours in America. Every day, my eyes feast on beautiful pictures posted by friends from as far away as Massachusetts, across the Atlantic Ocean in the United Kingdom and Russia, and the Pacific Ocean in Malaysia. 

Through the wonder of the worldwide web, I am making connections with people from all walks of life, from all over the world. I feel so blessed with each new friendship, and with each reconnection with those from my past. 

This weekend, I was so humbled when I looked at the statistics about my blog. I realize that in the larger scheme of things, my blog is very small. My audience consists of a small readership compared to those who have millions of followers, but it is slowly growing.


Every time someone takes the time to tell me, either in person at the grocery store, or on the internet on Facebook, Happier, or on my blog, that they can relate to what I write, I am deeply touched. Writing makes me so happy. Writing for a supportive and receptive audience makes me even happier. 

So, dear friends, old and new, thank you for stopping by. Thank you for taking the time to post a quick comment. Thank you for being a part of my world. I am so grateful for each and every one of you.

P.S.  May I ask a favor?  Would you mind leaving a comment today that indicates where you live? You don't have to get too specific, but I would love to attach some names and faces to these faraway places. You would honor me with your comments. I know it's a hassle, so just know that your reading this is honor enough. Thank you so very much.

17 comments:

  1. I live just West of you :-) A bit farther up the canyon in Marysvale. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Pam, I love having your for a neighbor and a friend! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There's my favorite little urbanite! Love you, Sweet Coco!

      Delete
  3. Although you already know...Monroe, UT within walking distance of Monroe Elementary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelle, thank you for your friendship, and also your support. Sometimes I wish I were within walking distance of MES. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Denise...I LOVE reading your blog. You most definitely have an amazing gift, the gift of writing. You should seriously consider writing a book!

    -Chelsea
    Richfield, Utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea, thank you for your supportive words. I am starting with my blog, and seeing where it takes me. I have submitted a few pieces for publication in a magazine. ONE day, maybe I'll publish a book. For now, this makes me happy. SO happy.

      Delete
  5. :) Your words inspire me....in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are a sweetie! Thank you. I love hearing from you.

      Delete
    2. Shellie, I didn't remember you were in Massachusetts. Thanks for reminding me! For some reason I thought you were in WASHINGTON on the OTHER coast. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you shared your link in Jeff's group: I may not have found you, otherwise. I too, am a former teacher. I'm finding that teaching the writing process is far different than being an active part in it. I, too, love synchronicity and how events brought me to this time in my life. This post was encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, thank you for stopping by, and especially for leaving a comment. Enjoy your writing. I am glad you found some encouragement in my words; I found some in yours, too!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I sure enjoy your family photos.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!