Saturday, June 14, 2014

An Owl's Gift

The night embraced me softly as my breathing slowed, and my mind relaxed into the nonsensical thoughts that always come as sleep blurs my thinking. Outside, a full moon lit up the nighttime sky, but in my darkened bedroom, I was oblivious to anything beyond my closed eyelids.

Sometime around one o'clock, my eyes opened, and adjusted to the darkness. I had heard a familiar noise, and smiled. Keeping my breath soft, I strained to hear that sweet sound again. The soft call of a Great Horned Owl, sultry and smooth, somewhere in the night. 

While I knew it couldn't be MY OWL, my feathered friend in Marysvale, it was AN owl. Once again, my thoughts turned to the Native American legends. What could I learn from his presence?
Etsy Artist: Ryan Glassman
Owls are considered to be perceptive creatures, and encourage us to develop our own skills of intuition. At this time in my life, I will need to use discernment as my circle of friends enlarges, to ensure that I am surrounded by those who will uplift and support me. 

I'm thinking this time, the owl may have been reminding me just how far I have come. Out of darkness and fear, and into light and joy, I have traveled. I'm returning to my true path, and perhaps his voice was reminding me of that. 

As I pulled the covers back over my shoulders, I pressed a smile into my pillow, feeling gratitude for his presence, and this unexpected gift in the night. 

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile. I'm so proud of the progress you've made. It encourages me.

    We've discussed owls on more than one occasion. How interesting that once again you're hearing one.

    I think of you every time I hear ours which is almost daily. Recently, I think I saw him ever so briefly but still don't know where he lives.

    His haunting song always brings reflection. I have you to thank for added awareness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I heard the owls more frequently, but when I do, I try very hard to listen. Thanks for checking in Melinda. I always wish you well...

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!