Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sleep...Sleep...Sleep...


After slipping between the sheets, and making a few changes in position to find what feels the comfiest, my breathing begins to slow, and as my thoughts become more random, I know that sleep will overcome me soon. Falling asleep is easy for me most nights. Staying asleep, though, is another story. 

I am one of those people who gets excited about her morning coffee even before I crawl into bed. "In just a few hours, I can get up, and start my day!" I tell myself. Yes, sleep is viewed as a necessary inconvenience in my life, not some treasured escape from a long day.

Throughout the night, I check my phone for the time, to see if it's time to get up. It seems that any time after 3:00 A.M., and my brains starts buzzing with the possibilities of the day. Six hours of sleep, and I'm good to go. Seven would be delightful. 

Early morning is the very best time of day. My thoughts have more clarity after a night's rest. I have the house to myself. My time is my own, and I spend it sipping coffee, reading, and writing. It is when I check into social media, to see how friends and family are doing. 

The songbirds are finally awake. It's just after five right now, and they are chirping happily outside my window. The only light in the living room is the blue glow of my computer, and the amber of the streetlight, and the sky is beginning to shift from black to grey. 

Good morning, world. Now that I have written, it's time to celebrate with my second cup of coffee. Mmm...morning. The best part of my day.


6 comments:

  1. I'm laughing. I have this image of you trying to sleep…and not. Thanks for the laugh. You make me stop and think of things I never notice about life and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the early morning hours, but rarely see them, as I can stay asleep but can't get to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I just got up. :)

    This is great! Enjoy you coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you, Sleepyhead! Glad you got some rest!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!