Saturday, June 7, 2014

Just Say Thank You; Seriously

From the time I was a little girl, I received compliments for a variety of reasons: my dimples, my behavior, my sun-tanned skin, my school work, my outfit. Those well-intentioned words made me blush. I was uncomfortable with the information, and did not know what to do with it. 

Over the years, I've realized the way I received compliments said so much about where I was on the sliding scale of self-worth, and without realizing it, I was also sending an unintentional message to the compliment-giver. 



If you told me you liked my dress, I would say, "This old thing? I bought it at the thrift shop for two dollars." 

If you told me my whole wheat rolls were the fluffiest you've ever eaten, I'd say, "You should try my mom's rolls. She's the REAL baker." 

If you told me what a great teacher I was, I'd say, "I'm no different than any other teacher at our school."

Shooting down someone's kind words is downright rude; I see that now. Devaluing a person's opinion is not in good taste. Deflecting praise takes the wind out of our friends' sails.

Lately, I have learned there are only two words I need to say when someone gives me a compliment. They are simply,

THANK YOU.

It may take loads of practice, but by flashing a smile of gratitude, and simply saying, "Thank you," we can accept the verbal gift that has been given. We are recognizing and appreciating the opinion of the speaker, and respecting who they are.

Try it next time. Just look the person in the eye, smile, and say "THANK YOU" the next time someone tells you something nice. Don't feel obligated to validate or qualify what you have been told with any further explanation. "Thank you" is all that needs to be said. 

The exchange of a compliment and a sincere thanks between friends will make both of you feel better. I dare you to try it. 

You can thank ME later.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!