Monday, June 16, 2014

Enjoying the Honey Moon; Not to Be Confused with the HONEYMOON

Early Friday morning, I remembered that 12:11 A.M. was reportedly the best viewing time of the "honey moon." At that particular time, though, I was in my deepest slumber, and when I awoke at four, I'd missed out on the perfect view. 

After I finished my writing for the day, I stepped outside my front door to take a look. The moon loomed large above our little town, and I remembered with fondness so many early morning runs under a full moon a few years back. I decided to take advantage of the cool morning air, and the added bonus of the beautiful moon, and go for a very early walk. Best idea of the week.

As I walked this morning with my INTENTION of mindfulness, the smell of the family-owned dairy filled my nostrils as I headed down Ross Lane. The humidity in the air made it seem extra-ripe today. 

"Smells like money," I could hear my friend Gloria say. 

It made me smile to think of her. It's all in our perspective. Gloria is the daughter of a dairyman, and the familiar smell reminds her of home, and what her father always told her. Taking time to dwell in the moment has its drawbacks sometimes, as we notice the feelings, the sights, AND the smells. I guess it's all in your point of view. I thought it smelled less like money, and more like...manure and disinfectant.

There are orioles that jump from branch to branch in the branches of the old dead trees that line Ross Lane each time I walk there. They chirped as they flitted among the trees this morning as I strode past. I love the rough, gnarled branches silhouetted against the early morning sky. 

I noticed I was up before the milkers as the men waved before turning their trucks onto the dairy's entrance. I could hear the clanking of metal on metal down by the cinderblock milking barn; probably the cows pushing their heads through the fence to get their breakfast of grain and hay. The water was rushing through the canal alongside the road.

Having the moon over one shoulder, and the sun rising over the other, for some reason, the words from the chorus of The Jeff Healey Band's song, "Stuck in the Middle with You" came into my head.
"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am; stuck in the middle with you."
Except I no longer feel stuck. There are no clowns or jokers; I'm not stuck with anyone. I am as free as a bird these days. Finding myself between a sunrise and a moonset is a great place to be. My smile broke into a grin.

There are still overwhelming moments when I'm paralyzed by my solitary life, but for the most part, I'm just grateful. I realize I am now in a position to truly become my authentic self. This is my time to grow, and learn, and discover. I would be foolish to rush this stage of my life. I remind myself not to hurry, and not to worry. Things are falling into place. I am exactly where I need to be.

The air was pleasantly cool. As I trudged up my last hill on the dirt lane, the sun changed the sky from a deep, blue-grey to a peachy pink. The sunrise in the reflection of the canal caught my eye.

This was not a day for iPods or conversation. I was alone with my thoughts, and feeling reflective. My intention for the day had been mindfulness, and I was more aware of the beauty around me, and the many blessings in my life. These meditative walks give me an opportunity to express my gratitude for the goodness and abundance in my life. 

My whispered thanks included gratitude for my family's relative good health, my children's recent visit, my parents and siblings, my new job, a fresh start, my little house. 

Winter is over and done; spring is giving way to summer, and I have so many reasons to be thankful. Gratitude changes the way we look at things. There is always something for which to be grateful, and being mindful gives me the time and space to notice even more. 

Living life with intention requires a little more thought, but it's so worth it. Each day, each moment, gives us even more "bang for our buck." We see more returns on our investment as we notice our breath, and our surroundings, and our gifts. The time will pass anyway; we might as well make the most of it.

What will be your intention today? My value must always be courage, but for now, I want to immerse myself more fully in each moment again. For today, my intention will once again be mindfulness. Want to join me?





2 comments:

  1. Bill worked at International Paper for 27 years. That "smells just like money" phrase was his favorite. (But he had to wash his own work clothes anyway).

    Beautiful post. I can feel the ground beneath your feet and the crispness of the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet, for sharing your connection. I'm always touched when you take the time to comment, which isn't always easy here!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!