Saturday, December 16, 2017

Unflattering Will Get You Nowhere

Being married to a photographer, I am Chuck's unsuspecting subject many more times than I know. Thankfully, he tries very hard to show my best side, in the best light. There are moments, though, no matter how hard Chuck tries, I just don't give him much to work with. To his credit, there are many shots of me that have stayed on his computer, never having seen the light of day. 

I debated about giving photographers credit for the photos here, but the pics are what they are; evidence of me in all my glory, or the lack thereof. All blame for my derp-y expressions lies with me, not the person behind the camera.

I found this gem buried in Chuck's archives. To his credit, he would never share this photo.
Apparently, I have no shame.

It has become painfully apparent that I am a challenge to many photographers, especially at the Bristol Renaissance Faire. We have become friends with so many of the camera-toting cadre, and every once in awhile, their pictures of me pop up on Facebook. 

Sometimes they capture my (a-hem) resting [something-or-other] face, and I think, "Wow, I need to work on that." I am learning not to take myself so seriously, and I have to say, my guard is quickly dropping in the vanity department. When I'm at the faire, I am about as happy as I can be, but sometimes that heat and humidity takes its toll on me, and it shows in my expression. Yeah, that's it. Let's blame my less-than-flattering facial expressions on the weather, shall we?

Photo credit: Frank Falesch

What else can I do, but laugh about it? 

My oldest said this is the perfect face for when meeting a real-life giant.
Photo credit: John Karpinsky

The last three summers at the faire have shown me that some people have a knack for always being "on," and there is rarely an unflattering picture of them. Those cast members are consummate actors, though; I am just a photographer, and I am not blessed with their abilities.

Enlarged for your viewing pleasure.


Chuck is learning if he wants to capture a pleasant image of me, he has to get my attention first, then I can flash him my mega-watt smile. I can smile, and thanks to a couple embarrassing years of wearing braces, I have a pretty nice one. I just don't think about smiling when I'm lost in thought, or unaware of cameras. 

Why can't I put a little more effort in my facial expressions when I am lost in thought, like I do when I'm hamming it up?

While I may not always smile when I'm in front of a camera, do you know when I smile the most? When I'm behind the camera. 

That dimple is evidence of my smile behind the camera. Thanks for this shot, John Karpinsky!

It's so weird, but when I'm waiting to capture the perfect candid moment, my face breaks into a huge smile while my finger is poised over the trigger. It's like I'm trying to use ESP to get my subject to smile for me. At the end of an eight hour day at the ren faire, my cheeks seriously hurt. 

There's that tell-tale dimple again.
Photo credit: Brian Schultz

The jury is still out, but I don't think we can blame our photographer friends for my deadpan, unflattering look. Having a pleasant expression on my face is one thing I'm going to work on, but as you can see, I've got my work cut out for me.


Photo credit: Trisha Wagner. Commentary by me.

Unflattering is getting me nowhere. 

Photo credit: Stephen Lundeen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!