Sunday, December 17, 2017

Closing the Gap


Renaissance fashions with tight-fitting bodices and full skirts accentuate curves, and flatter a woman's figure. Well, they can. Another thing I like about my Ren faire clothes is they are adjustable, and I can still squeeze into them when I gain weight; I simply have to loosen my laces. It hadn't occurred to me that perhaps I needed to move up a size. 

"Next summer, I'm going to make garb for you that fits," my friend and Renaissance fashion consultant Susan said, as she tugged on the front of my gapping ghawazee. I'm sure the look on my face said it all; her words had stung. Then I brightened up.


Next summer, I'm hoping my ghawazee
will meet in the middle all the way down the front.
"Well, if I have my way, that won't be necessary. I'm going to lose weight, and then my tunic will fit; just you wait and see."


"Denise," she began, staring into my eyes, "Don't. You are in a happy place in your life. Don't do that to yourself. I'll just tailor your clothes so they fit you next year." 

At first, I was a little hurt. Yes, my Renaissance Faire clothing was a little snug; I could admit that. And then I thought, I am so glad I have a friend like Susan who tells me like it is, and loves me while she does it. Everyone should be lucky enough to have a friend so caring and wise.




Susan is one of those rare people who makes friends for life in a moment. She glows with her positivity and love. Anyone who meets her feels more confident and beautiful. When women walk out of her shop Alter Egos Bazaar, they hold their heads a little higher, and their eyes shine a little more. The time they spend with Susan lifts their spirits, and they can't help but be touched by her spirit. 

Photo credit: Chuck Bennorth

Looking down at my beautifully sewn costume, I noticed the gap between the two edges of fabric that were tied together with a black lace. Did I want my sweet friend to have to labor over new clothes for me because I couldn't walk away from cookies and ice cream? No. Did I want to prove to her that I could lose the weight, and wear my Renaissance garb with pride? Yes, I really did. Determination set in; I was going to make sure that I could wear my ghawazee and my bodice with confidence next faire season. 

I might need to find a new favorite food vendor at the faire.

After an ill-advised, FUTILE ATTEMPT at losing weight last summer, I have finally settled in on a healthy lifestyle that is working for me. There is no magic pill. There is no easy way to get back on the track to good health. "Eat less and exercise more" is the only thing that has ever worked for me. 


With the Beach Body on Demand workouts and the 21 Day Fix portion control system, I'm actually eating MORE of certain foods, and less of others. More veggies, more fruits, and less processed, and less junk. There has not been a night I've gone to bed hungry these last seven weeks. The workouts have challenged me, but I knew it was going to take more than a few saunters around the neighborhood to get this body back in shape.



Was I just asking for trouble by signing up for this Headstart on the Holidays in November, right before all of our celebrations began? As it turns out, I haven't missed any celebrations; I've just been more selective in my food choices, making sure I fill up on my healthy stuff first, and then having some of my favorite foods. Sure, I've had a couple of days off from the plan, but I just get back in the saddle the next morning. 

For me, I have to exert myself, which means lifting weights, getting my heart rate up, and yes, SWEATING, which I hate, if I'm going to get in better shape. I worried that I wouldn't stick with this, but today I am on day 50, and I am feeling better about my ability to do just that. 



Top: Ghawazee from Alter Egos Bazaar. Bottom: Bodice and peasant dress.
On the left, August 2017. On the right, December 2017.
What do I have to show for my efforts? Well, let me tell you. The scales don't tell the whole story. I actually weigh three pounds more than I did at this time last year. And I weigh just about the same as when Susan was tugging on my too-tight top. Even though the numbers on the scale may not seem impressive, even though I have lost more than 12 pounds in seven weeks, my non-scale victories are worth celebrating. 

Knowing the scale can never tell the whole story, I have been on the lookout for non-scale victories. The health benefits are pretty good by themselves. For Christmas, I have asked for heavier weights because I have outgrown the five pound dumbbells I first used. My muscles are stronger, and my lungs don't get winded walking up a flight of stairs.  During my workouts, I am able to do some of the regular workout moves now. When I first started, I had to follow the modified exercise routine the whole session. Slowly, I am reclaiming clothes I haven't worn in quite some time. 

By working out, and watching what I eat, I am slowly "closing the gap" on my Renaissance clothing, too, which makes me very, very happy.


Thank you, Susan. I know you were willing to make me a new outfit, but I'm hoping if you ever have to do that, it's because my beautiful clothing from your shop has gotten too big!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!