Saturday, December 9, 2017

Joie de Hygge



Bristol is sleeping at my feet at the end of the couch. Between the Christmas tree lights, candles, and the Himalayan salt rock lamps, the room is filled with a warm glow. There is a steaming cup of creamy coffee beside the Susan Branch book I am currently reading. I'm wearing my coziest, fleece-y leggings and the thickest, softest socks I own, with a an over-sized, long-sleeved t-shirt. 

Dulce de Leche coffee and Susan Branch's Martha's Vineyard: Isle of Dreams.

A steaming cup of coffee, a good book, and a big, snoring dog; what more could I want this morning? Besides a little more sleep, pretty much nothing. Once again, insomnia and I are stretched out on the couch, enjoying this early morning hour.


The French have their joie de vivre; the Danes have their hygge, pronounced HUE-gah. I think I have my own little joie de hygge going on here.


Last year, I first became aware of the Danish word, which is a concept that embraces coziness, comfort, and intimacy. All of my life I have been drawn to that concept; I just never had a word for it. To me I am living the good life when I am surrounded by things that smell good, taste good, and feel good. A sweet soundtrack in the background makes the hygge complete.



To each of us, there may be slight differences in what hygge feels like, but I know that for me it is less about looking good, and more about feeling good. We can probably all agree that we like the things that bring us comfort; clothes that don't constrict, warm blankets that are super soft, our favorite foods, and the scents that make our house a home. 

According to Anna Altman, there is even a word for my favorite hygge leggings: "hyggebukser,
otherwise known as that shlubby pair of pants you would never wear in public but secretly treasure."

While I would not want my picture taken this morning, I can tell you I could not be more comfortable. Nothing coordinates with anything else, but every fabric that is touching my skin is as soft as it can be. 


What brings you comfort? What elements of hygge do you already embrace? Maybe it's hot cocoa and marshmallows in front of a crackling fire. You might prefer some hot tea, a good book, and a pile of blankets. Or maybe you would enjoy bundling up for a walk in the falling snow. I'm hoping we get to do just that this morning after the sun comes up; we're being blessed by a light snowfall, even as I write. 


Whatever it is that brings you comfort and joy as winter settles in for the season, I hope you make time to enjoy your own version of hygge.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!