Thursday, December 14, 2017

Stop and Smell the Poinsettias


Okay, I admit it; I don't think poinsettias have much of a fragrance, but 'tis the season, and I thought "Stop and smell the poinsettias" was apropros this month. And if we can't smell them, the least we can do is appreciate their beauty.

Do you ever get pulled into a chaotic week where you are checking things off your list right and left, but you feel drained, even though you are being productive? The holidays seem to pull is in so many directions; the parties, the community events, the family gatherings. I have been powering through each day, doing the things asked of me, and doing the things I think I need to do, but my heart has felt out of touch with my head. It's almost like having an out-of-body experience at times. 


Ever since my father-in-law passed away last week, I have been caught up in a whirlwind of things that need to be done. Our day-to-day life keeps us hopping anyway, and Chuck's mom needs love and encouragement more than ever right now. There are papers to gather, documents to sign, an apartment to be emptied, and many, many explanations to repeat to a broken-hearted wife who is confused by all of the changes in her life. My own heart hurts for hers. 


We're in between holidays, and I am very aware that keeping up with the housework is going to make things much easier on me when we entertain friends and family these next few weeks. There are appointments at the dentist, at the vet, at Toyota, and at the bank. Headlights and brake lights had to be replaced, and the car needed to be serviced. 


We have weekends that seem to be packed with photo shoots. We head out to the children's theater a couple nights a week, and we also shot pictures for another non-profit last Friday and Saturday. There have been so many pictures to edit that photography feels more like a job than a hobby lately. The equilibrium of the house is beginning to spin out of control again, and I am barely staying on top of the muddy paw prints with the rain and light snowfalls we've had.


Waaa-waaa-waaa. I know; my life is not so bad. Every once in awhile, things just seem off balance. I'm so afraid I'm going to forget something important that needs to be done because I am not thinking clearly. 

Last night I told Chuck, "Tomorrow is wide open. I have nothing to do; nowhere to go. I am so relieved."


Then, in the middle of the night, I remembered that it was THURSDAY. Thursdays are Cameras and Coffee days with Susan. As much as I love not having plans occasionally, I was just as happy to realize I'd have time with Susan in the morning. 


Sometimes when you feel a little nuts, when it feels like your life is not even your own, it's important to carve out some time to extricate yourself from the crazy. When I look back at my week, I realize one reason I have any sanity left at all is because I've managed to take advantage of little moments when I could. 

Insomnia has some perks. I definitely get some "me time" in those early morning hours. I've managed to read the Bible and do some recreational reading, too. I usually have my workout done before Chuck comes down for breakfast. 

Throughout the day, in between errands and running to the next town over to spend time with my mother-in-law, I've stolen quiet moments to read my book, savor a cup of gingerbread spice tea, watch a favorite Christmas video, or even try to squeeze in 40 winks. Those are my "stop to smell the poinsettias" times.


With my open day today, I practically wallowed in our Coffee and Cameras time. We sat at the Luau Coffee shop for over an hour, and then while we were shooting poinsettias at Shady Hill Gardens, we lost all track of time, and stayed longer than either of us had planned. 



It felt good to spend time with a friend. Chatting over coffee was a welcome break. Being outside in the cold air, and then watching the sunlight filter into the greenhouse over a sea of poinsettias was just what the doctor ordered. I feel like my energy levels have been reset. Whatever comes my way will seem more manageable.



We might not be able to control all of the variables in our lives, but when we can take a little time for ourselves, it feels like such a gift. Dwelling completely in that moment allows us to recharge our batteries, and to not give in to the overwhelming feeling that life is out of control. 


As some of us are in the thick of Hanukkah and others of us have Christmas swiftly approaching, we need to remember to slow down every once in awhile. Rarely is anything we think we just HAVE to do so critical that we can't take a moment to breathe, to relax, and to think. I recommend stepping out of the fray every once in awhile; your peace of mind will thank you. 


Happy Holidays, friends. I hope you get a chance to stop and smell the poinsettias; you'll be glad you did.


2 comments:

  1. I love this! I love our Thursdays and out friendship. It's life affirming. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan for the Thursday Coffee and Cameras time!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!