Thursday, February 22, 2018

Treat Yo'Self

Today, my to-do list is long, but I've been knocking things out right and left. There are a couple of things on my list that are all about me today, and to offset my guilt, I wanted to make sure I took care of my people, too. 


Why do we do that; feel guilty for doing things we enjoy, and the things that make us feel better about ourselves? Chuck reminds me often that I deserve to be pampered as much as he does, and he does lots of little things that show his love and appreciation. 

As I was growing up, I just think I watched my mom and stepmom put others first so much, I may have wrongly concluded that to be happy, we caregivers need to put ourselves last. It's just not the case, folks. I'm a slow learner, but I'm learning.





The phrase "TREAT YO'SELF" is a popular one right now. 

So today, I am "treating myself." And I'm doing a pretty good job of it. In between the cooking and baking, the cleaning and tidying, the checking on our moms, and making sure our dog Sami takes it easy, I built in some things that make me pause, and just enjoy myself. 




When I first got up, I did a little reading to help me with my personal development goals. As soon as Chuck headed out the door to work, I scurried to get a few things started, like laundry, and cleaning up the kitchen, and then I did my workout in front of our big screen TV. My days just go better when I take that time for myself, and try to stay ahead of the housework. 



Even though I had a lot I wanted to accomplish today, I set aside time for Coffee and Cameras with Susan. We went to one of our favorite local coffee shops, and just savored the time to take a break from the demands we both have in our lives right now. We talked about our families, health goals, and photography; we always talk about photography. 

The encouragement and support I find during our weekly chats boosts my morale in ways I had not anticipated. Having a friend who shares my enthusiasm for life and creating art is such a gift. 

What makes you feel pampered? And the concept of pampering seems foreign to you, what makes you feel like you are taking care of yourself? Is it savoring a special treat? Drinking your favorite tea from a beautiful tea cup? Buying fresh flowers for yourself? Walking outdoors, enjoying the beauty of nature? Spending time doing a favorite hobby? Listening to music, or reading a book?


Today is a huge treat yo'self day for me because tonight I'm flying to Utah to see all of my babies; the ones who share my DNA, and the people whom my children love. I get to see a couple of my grandpuppies, too. 

Chuck has been so supportive of my role as a mother, and he is holding down the fort at home, while I spend a long weekend in Utah. 


It will be my honor to do Bridger and Joscelyne's engagement photo session, and we will get to celebrate Dylan's birthday while I'm here. Sierra is driving all the way from northern Utah to southern Utah to spend the weekend with all of us at Dylan and Jamie's. Monday I get to spend the whole day with my mom. A mother-daughter day is a rare thing for us, living so far away from each other.


My treats today include drinking good coffee with a friend, taking a few photos, making bread for our friends who are helping with the dogs while I'm out of town, and getting ready for a long weekend with the kids. 


What about you? What will you do today that will nourish your spirit and your body, and make you smile with pleasure and pride, just knowing you are taking care of yourself? I hope you find some way to feel spoiled today. 

Take a little time for yourself; you deserve it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!