Saturday, February 10, 2018

Valentine Wishes and Puppy Dog Kisses



"Remind me; how do we celebrate Valentine's Day?" my husband asked a few days ago. I think I saw him wince. Poor guy. He swears Valentine's Day is another opportunity for the male to fail. Silly man. You'd think after three years, he'd know better. 



You know those quizzes that have no research behind them, and are solely entertainment purposes, but somehow they suck us in to see how we score? I saw one recently to determine if someone were high maintenance. The bullet points concerned makeup, high heels, jewelry, waxing, shaving, acrylic nails; basically all of those things upon which fashion magazines encourage us to base our self-esteem. I scored a zero. A big, fat ZERO, Chuck. High maintenance, I'm not.


So I reminded my husband we've never made a big fuss over Valentine's Day, but last year we celebrated the middle of February by adopting two of the cutest puppies on the face of the earth.

"Do do you want to continue that Valentine's Day tradition? Shall we adopt a puppy this year, too?"


He managed to laugh, and I know he was relieved I was only teasing, but seriously, we've just never made oneupmanship part of our holidays. We have no compunction to make the next Valentine's Day better than the last. 


To me, it's the little things that make me want to be Chuck's Valentine forever. I may not get flowers or a heart-shaped box of chocolates on February 14, but he shows me he loves me in so many other ways.

Chuck is the only man who has even cared enough to ask me what kind of flowers I like. Why do most men assume all women like roses? I love Gerber daisies, orange ones, and less than a week after I met Chuck online, I received a bouquet of orange Gerber daisies from him.


Chuck knows exactly where that knot is in my shoulders, and notices immediately when the arthritis in my wrists needs a massage. He makes me laugh every day, and he is the easiest person in the world to cook for. Whenever I'd rather not be bothered with meal prep, he's quick to offer to pick up takeout for us, and he's just as happy with some oatmeal for the easiest dinner ever. 


Valentine's Day is a low-key affair around here. I've made some puppy memes and Valentine's Day cards on Canva to satisfy my creative needs. (Ta-da!) We'll go out to eat sometime this week, but not on the fourteenth. The rest of y'all can stand in line waiting for a table; we're happy to avoid the crowds. 


How will I show my undying affection for my sweetheart this week? I'm not heartless, ya know, I did buy some heart-shaped pasta. 



You're welcome, Hunny. From one low-maintenance human to another: I love you. And just knowing you love me makes me happy.



However you celebrate February 14, whether it's Valentine's Day, Galentine's Day, Palentine's Day, or just a regular old Wednesday, I hope you do something you love with someone you love. Even if that someone has fur and four legs. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!