Monday, February 12, 2018

Queen of the Hill

Death and taxes may be the only certainties in life, but there sure is a lot of fun to be had while we're still living, don't you agree? We just never know how much time we have, or what the future has in store for us. I'm trying to keep a healthy perspective about things, and hoping to do a better job of taking advantage of the opportunities for me to live a full life.


Adulting is hard; no one will argue that, but it is not without its perks. Today was pretty awesome in that regard. 


As a retired teacher who learned to ski at 47, but had to stop about five years later, I still love snow. I like watching it, walking in it, and playing in it. I've had to adapt the way I play since my knees can't afford another tumble while alpine skiing, but as my family can tell you, no one enjoys a good sledding run more than I!


As you may have heard, Winter Storm Mateo dropped a buttload of snow over the midwest this last weekend. I enjoyed a long walk through deep snow with my friend Katie, and I got some fun pictures of the dogs playing in the backyard. Chuck and I spent some time together shoveling the driveway and in front of the mailbox, and we took a few minutes to go sledding at the park near our house, but that's a story for another day.



Today the skies are blue, and the sun is bright. It is what my snowboarding kids in Utah call a blue bird day. Since today is a weekday, it is also a school day, which means children are at school, not making long lines at the sledding hills at the parks. 


When I arrived, the only other people there were just leaving. What luck! Today I was Queen of the Hill. I was probably giddier than I should have been, but that meant I could sled anywhere I wanted; even down the area that is roped off for the kids to have a safe path to walk back up the hill. 



My pan sled and I had so much fun. We bumped down the moguls of the main hill. We flew down the gentler slope that was much less of a jarring ride, and we spun around as we sped down the walking path. 


Then I noticed a pile of broken sleds around the garbage can, and among the wreckage of old sleds was a perfectly good one called a Zippy, and I determined that since it had been abandoned, I would give it a try. 




It's hard not to laugh when I'm sledding. I feel kind of silly because laughter is usually a shared thing with a friend or loved one, but giggles just bubble up when I am outdoors, playing in the snow, even when I'm alone. Today was a very good day. In looking at the clock, I see I don't have much time before school lets out, and the sledding hill will be teeming with youngsters. I've had my fun, but have I had my fill? 



Hmmm...there's still time for me play Queen of the Hill. I might need to head back out in just a bit!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!