Thursday, February 1, 2018

Kaffeeklatsch


Sometimes we all need a break from the craziness of life, a chance to decompress, and enjoy life's little pleasures while escaping life's demands, if only for a few moments. 



Each week it is my privilege to get together with my friend Susan for some good coffee and heart-to-heart talks. The Germans call this a kaffeeklatsch, which is the English equivalent of coffee + noise, or in our case, caffeine and conversation. In between the worrying we do about our moms, and our children, and our husbands, we take time out together to have a kaffeeklatsch each week, and then we set out with our cameras. (The German spelling of kaffeeklatsch is in honor of all of my grandparents who were first and second generation German Americans. Ich liebe dich.)




Meet Susan, the best kind of friend to have; honest, caring, and compassionate. Susan is a professor of English, a writer of books, a poet, wife, and mother. And I'm so glad she is my friend. 



Today, we put DRM European Cafe into our GPS, and discovered, much to our delight, that this little gem of a cafe is just a mile from my house. DRM features eastern European cuisine, and was voted "Best Polish Food" in Chicagoland in 2017 by the Daily Herald. 

Paczkis
Photo Credit: DRM EUROPEAN CAFE

Susan and I will be going back very soon to get out Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) paczkis (pronounced pawnch-kē), which are a specialty pastry, filled with yumminess, and topped with frosting. As near as I can tell, they are a very special donut, and enjoyed just before the Lenten season of fasting begins. I've lived in Chicagoland for three years now, and I am finally going to try a paczki!

Beautiful rolling pins available at DRM. 

After our delicious coffee and complimentary cookie, we enjoyed looking at all of the interesting international foods sold at DRM, and then we drove to Baker Methodist Church to take pictures. 


We had intended to photograph the outside of the church, but it was so bitter-cold, we obtained permission to take our cameras into the sanctuary. It was so peaceful to spend time in the church, enjoying the sunlight through the stained-glass windows. 



Today has been such a nice day. I have to say, I have felt light-hearted ever since I woke up. I knew it was going to be a good day when I skipped down the basement stairs with a smile on my face, on my way to do a load of laundry. Unexplainable happiness is a wonderful thing. 




Thank you to all of you who have prayed for me, sent virtual hugs, and checked on me. I have such supportive family and friends. I wish I could have a kaffeeklatsch with each of you!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!