Friday, February 9, 2018

Winter Storm Mateo 2018


Winter Storm Mateo is dumping some snow here in Chicagoland. I couldn't be happier. Well, until I get my sled out anyway. Our labradorable Sami is just as excited as I am, but I don't think Chuck and the Velvet Hippo share our enthusiasm. This is going to be a great weekend for winter walks, snowmen, and sledding; I just know it! 

These sentiments are probably more mine than Bristol's.

Last night, Chuck read the forecast, and looked up from his phone. "You can stop praying for snow now, you know," he said with a twinkle in his eye. He knows me. I just can't help it; I love snow so much.


This morning, I woke up at 2:00, and the snowfall was well underway. When I started my second pot of coffee, I decided I would bake cinnamon rolls for our neighbors. Am I so thoughtful, or what? Well, Chuck and I like cinnamon rolls, too, so my good deed wasn't exactly altruistic. We just think we should share the love, and the calories.


By the time the rolls were frosted, we had several inches of snow, and no one had had time to plow driveways, or shovel sidewalks. I just slipped my bare feet into my galoshes, and ran the plates of goodies from house to house in our cul de sac. The snow was above my ankles, and fell inside my shoes. That may not have been my smartest move today. It's now close to noon, and my feet are just beginning to warm up. 



The puppies, who really, really aren't puppies any more, but they're my fur babies, and that's what I still call them; anyway, Bristol and Sami have different reactions to the snow. Initially, I think they are both energized by the snowfall and the cold. They both romp and play, at first.


It never takes long for Bristol to have his fill, but Sami could stay outside all morning, playfully scampering across the yard, and tossing her head in the air before digging her snout deep in the snowdrifts. Sami looks at me as if to say, "Isn't this great? Don't you love being out here?" Yes, Sami, yes, I do.



All it takes is one look at Bristol's miserable expression, and I realize he just wants to be back inside where he belongs, on the couch, under a blanket. I just promise Sami we'll go back out soon. And we will.


Our winter storm warning is still in effect this afternoon. Storm Mateo promises to be a big one that will impact us all weekend. Bring. It. On. 

Sami and I are ready.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!