Saturday, February 25, 2017

PUPPY TALES: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


My sweet husband got so sick a few days ago. He came home from work early, white as a sheet and fell asleep on the couch as soon as he lay down on it. The next day he worked from home, so I tried to make sure our new pups didn't wreak havoc during his business calls.  


Chuck must believe in the credo of never letting a good deed go unnoticed because when he finally started feeling better Thursday afternoon, he asked me if there was something he could get me as a way of saying thanks for taking care of Bristol, Sam, and him while he was sick. He wanted to respect my sugar-free goals, and wasn't sure what to get me if chocolates were off-limits. What a sweetheart. 



After our first puppy training class Thursday night, we stopped by the store on the way home, and Chuck picked out some beautiful orange tulips for me, and had me choose some fresh strawberries. He takes such good care of me; he is the most thoughtful person I know.



Friday Chuck was well enough to go back to work. I was having a low energy day, and the puppies seemed to know. We spent a lot of time on the couch. We cuddled. They played with their stuffed hedgehogs. And we napped. 


It was so peaceful. For an hour or two at a time, there was no barking, no accidents on the floor, no fighting over toys, and no one whining to go outside. We were all able to sleep and rest.  


Whenever I woke before they did, you can bet I stayed as still as possible to prolong the peaceful moment. Even if I needed a potty break myself, I just waited until they woke up. They are such sweet puppies, but when they are asleep, they are absolutely adorable. 


They had short play times in their crate and in the kitchen, too, but mostly we just chilled on the sofa as much as possible. The day seemed to fly by, and before I knew it, it was late afternoon.



Chuck and I had plans for our Friday night, and I figured I should make an attempt to get ready for the day. (Try not to judge.) While my hair straightener heated up, I started putting on my makeup. I had a rapt audience in the hallway, and as I talked to them about what I was doing, they cocked their heads one way, and then the other. They really do entertain me. 


My days seem to be an eternal loop of puppy care. Every once in awhile I know I will need to recharge myself on those low energy days so I can be on my toes with Bristol and Sam when their energy is high. 


Chuck was pointing out that these will probably be the only puppies we ever get to raise because if they live full lives to 15 or so, by then we will probably feel too old to take on raising puppies. So we better enjoy this puppy phase while it lasts. 


For me, that includes their rambunctious play times, as well as our peaceful nap times. I intend to let my sleeping dogs lie as long as they like, so this old dog can rest, too.


2 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!