Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Chronicles of Insomnia


Awake since midnight, I am plagued by a Diet Pepsi-fueled sleepless night, or is it that my old friend insomnia has returned with a vengeance? I'm sitting on the couch, reading, and eating grapes and cubes of Swiss cheese. Every bite of grape sounds so loud inside my head, and I wince, hoping against hope Bristol can't hear my chewing in his sleep from the next room. That dog loves food, and wouldn't want to miss a bite.


Between my iPad, my Chromebook, and my Himalayan salt rock lamp, the living room is glowing softly. The irony isn't wasted on me that I just finished reading an article in the New York Times called "Sleep Is the New Status Symbol," by Penelope Green. These glowing devices I turn to when I am awake could contribute to my lack of sleep.

Chuck is always chiding me, "Just close your eyes. You can't sleep with your eyes open." He makes sleep sound so easy, and for him, most of the time, it really is. I wish it were for me.

Mentally, I scan my daily schedule, and realize I have a very light day ahead of me. I can take a nap this morning, or later this afternoon, during the puppies' quiet time in their crates. I can take TWO naps!

At the moment, my iPad's screen is darkened, and it is reflecting the full moon outside in its shiny blackness. I thought my eyes might be playing tricks on me, but when I looked through the lace curtains, I could see the moon, wearing a halo of white clouds, high in the sky. 

Bristol just whined in his sleep. Those puppies are champs when it comes to sleeping. I should take a page from their book. 


How to Have a Happy Life, by Bristol and Sam: Eat three meals a day, with a few healthy snacks. Exercise regularly. Play hard. Don't overthink things. Nap when possible; remember, it's always possible. Give and receive affection. Be devoted to the people who've made a difference in your life. 

A friend suggested Bristol's Native American name would be Runs with Wrinkles. 


It's time to try to go back to sleep. With any luck, the puppies will sleep in until four, and I will catch another 40 winks until then. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!