Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Buff Pumpkin Stuff OR Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin-flavored anything makes me weak in the knees this time of year. Back when I started becoming aware of complex carbs and protein, I wanted to be able to make some of my own meal replacements, and not just rely on protein shakes and bars. What I ended up with was my original recipe for Buff Pumpkin Stuff.

One of my most favorite foods on earth is pumpkin pie, but I'm not a crust eater. I began to look at what was already in it...eggs, pumpkin, milk...and I remembered the "impossible pie" recipes from Bisquik back when I was a teenager in the seventies.  I used that as my basic recipe, and added cottage cheese for additional protein, and oats for fiber. It packs a lot of protein, and when baked, has a creamy, custard-like texture. An idea started to form, and I tweaked this recipe for a few years. This dish actually won in the Healthy Richfield Recipe Contest several years ago.

It is not the most appetizing-looking dish, as I bake it in a large casserole and scoop it into individual containers. One of my girlfriends, who is a big fan of my "Buff Pumpkin Stuff," lovingly calls it Pumpkin Poop. Others simply call it Pumpkin. If you bake it in ramekins, or in Corelle bowls, as shown in the picture, it has a much better presentation, and could respectfully be called Healthy Pumpkin Custard. Whatever you call it, all I know is it is a big hit with people who love pumpkin as much as I do, and want to eat something that tastes like a dessert without any guilt!

Makes 10 servings...I just freeze half of the recipe in individual containers for the next week...


Buff Pumpkin Stuff

\

In blender, combine:

24 oz. carton fat-free cottage cheese
2 c. fat-free milk, or milk substitute
2 c. old-fashioned oats (Originally I used All Bran cereal (let this soften in blender while assembling other ingredients)

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 large can pumpkin (29 oz.)
1 rounded cup of Stevia (or a sweetener that can be BAKED!)
8 egg whites (or four eggs)
1/2 T. cinnamon
1/2 T. pumpkin pie spice

Combine blended mixture with pumpkin mixture in large bowl.

Pour into two 9x13 pans. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. This makes ten 1 cup servings.

According to my calculations, each serving provides: 148 cal., 6 grams fiber, less than .5 grams of fat and 15 grams of protein. In Weight Watchers, one serving is 2 points. I used this as a meal replacement once or twice a day.

My guilty pleasure? A little Cool Whip or whipped cream on top makes this perfect!


MORE RECIPES FROM RANDOMOCITY

FASTER AND HEALTHIER AMISH BREAD (without all the mushing the bag, and no waiting!)


JACK MORMON MUFFINS

PUMPKIN SWEET ROLLS





4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it...but on the subject of pie; I'm a crust eater...give me a little side of pie with my crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a GRAHAM CRACKER or OREO crust...all I have to envision is big old chunks of LARD going into that processed flour, and I'm all, "NO, THANKS." ;-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!