Friday, January 31, 2014

Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins



During the winter, my freezer is usually stocked with frozen berries.  On this snowy morning, I decided to make some muffins to utilize my frozen strawberries.  The results were pretty tasty.  By the way, when a recipe states that berries should be frozen, it's a good idea to use them frozen. Just sayin'.  The berries become a little mushy if they're thawed, in case you're curious.

WHOLE WHEAT STRAWBERRY MUFFINS


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.

Whisk the following dry ingredients in a large bowl:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup old-fashioned cooking oats

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon


Mix together the wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl:

3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted

1/4 cup honey or stevia (I usually use half and half)

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 c. strawberries, blended (these should be thawed)

1/2 cup almond milk

1 cup roughly chopped frozen strawberries (do not thaw) Add this once wet and dry ingredients have been combined.

Combine wet and dry ingredients, and then add the 1 c. roughly chopped FROZEN strawberries. (Note all caps.) Just stir until berries are incorporated; don't over-stir the batter.

1 tablespoon raw sugar, mixed with a few shakes of cinnamon  (I didn't measure, obviously.)  Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the unbaked muffins.  My recipe made 12 muffins and one small loaf pan of strawberry bread.

Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from muffin tin, and cool on rack.


I would like to acknowledge the blog In My Tiny Kitchen for the original idea. I always have to adapt recipes to suit me. I love adding more fiber, and utilizing stevia for part of the sweetener.  Click link to see her Strawberry Oat Muffin recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. They look yummy! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any good raspberry recipes? I have a whole freezer full of raspberries from our yard. Would love to find some good ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, substitute your raspberries for strawberries. I alter everything to suit my fancy! Freezer jam...you could try Autumn's recipe for blueberry/chia jam and sub in your berries!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!