Monday, October 2, 2017

Though She Be But Little

Into each life some rain must fall. 

Remember that dreamy, romantic date Chuck and I had at our favorite Italian restaurant a couple weeks ago? Lest you get the idea that our oh, so perfect life belongs between the covers of some glossy suburban lifestyle magazine, let me tell you how that night ended.



As we were walking hand in hand around Geneva, I got a phone call from my oldest son. I knew right away he had bad news. He had just taken his puppy Elle, a 4-month-old French bulldog to the emergency veterinarian. She was going to require surgery to repair a broken elbow. Our biggest concern was that a heart defect would prevent her from surviving surgery. When Elle was born, a cardiologist in Las Vegas determined she had a stage four (out of six) heart murmur. Our own hearts were breaking. Very tough decisions needed to be made.




Oh, so many tears were shed over that little pup. We were so far away, and I felt so helpless. While the kids consulted with veterinarians in Nevada and Utah, all I could think to do was to ask friends to pray. At the time, out of respect to my son's family, I did a little "Vague-booking," asking friends to pray for people I love who were hurting. And then I personally asked family and friends of ours who are dog lovers to please keep Elle in their thoughts and prayers as she went into surgery.


I am so happy to report that not only did Elle survive the surgery, she is now thriving as a three-legged Frenchie. What a little trouper. She still jumps up on the couch to look out the window, and she chases her ball, and loves to drag big sticks around the yard. 



Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement that emotional week, and especially on the day of her surgery. We are so happy that Elle is adjusting to her new circumstances, and that she is so strong. 



Though she be but little, she is fierce. That's our Elle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!