Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Child of the Universe

Standing on our deck in my bare feet, I watched as my steamy breath rose in front of my face. The sun wouldn't be up for another hour, but I love this time of day. We finally have cool autumn mornings again; 45 degrees today. I knew the puppies would be outside a little longer, so I went inside to pour myself a cup of coffee, and put on my tennis shoes and a sweatshirt.

After I turned off the motion-sensor light, I stepped out into the early morning darkness. I found my way to the railing, and cradled my coffee cup in my palms, my hands enjoying the heat. The sky wasn't as dark as I would have liked, but the hour of sunrise was approaching. I was still able to make out the brightest stars, and certain constellations whose names have have always escaped me.

My eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I surveyed the landscape. The tall maple tree is still full of foliage. I saw our little shed, and the fluffy cedar, and the two big pine trees. Outside our chain link fence is the Rotary Park, which I like to pretend is an extension of our yard. I took a big sip, and let the creamy coffee fill my mouth before I swallowed. 

Then I looked up. I haven't done that much here; the beauty of the night sky is usually compromised by the competing street lights and city glow in nearly any town near Chicago, but today I just wanted to remember the feelings; the conflicted feelings of being so small, and yet feeling so blessed.

A quote I have loved since I was in high school came to mind, this one by Max Ehrmann. 

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."


Looking up into the stars, I feel connected to the earth, to loved ones near and far; here and beyond. There is also a reminder of how insignificant I am in the big scheme of things; that little dose of humility never hurts. But I also feel so blessed to have the privilege of living right now. The beauty of the earth reminds me that God saw to all of these amazing details when he created this incredible universe, and he allows mere mortals like me to enjoy these miracles on a daily basis. So while I realize I play a very tiny role here, I am also reminded of the blessing I have of just being alive; that I am a miracle, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!