Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Hurry Up and Relax!

My nerves are shot. This week will be my undoing, if I'm not careful.

This morning I stood under the umbrella in the middle of our front yard with an uncooperative Bristol at my side, and I watched the rain come down in buckets, as it flooded the growing pond in front of our house. So. Much. Rain. And I have a dog that refuses to potty in the rain. Eventually, I gave up, and we went back inside. I just hoped he would hold it until the rain subsided. 


I'm still in the thick of trapping season here. Two days ago started out with the discovery of mouse evidence in three drawers and a large double cabinet. Ugh. Mice are cute. Mouse poop is not. I emptied the contents of our kitchen storage onto the countertops, sanitizing each item, one by one. Everything is still sitting on top of the counters, two days later, waiting for the last mouse to be caught, or at least for the evidence to stop appearing in the kitchen. Wonder how much longer I'll be waiting.

As I was resetting a trap this morning, it went off in my hands four times, and then snapped shut inside the drawer while I was emptying the dishwasher. That sound rattles me every time I hear it. To say I'm a little on edge would be an understatement.



Yesterday was my day with Elise, my darling two-year old neighbor who calls me Gramma Nece. Every week we get to spend a few hours together until one of her biological grandmas arrives. I love my time with that precious little girl. You would think I would remember to go since I like being with her, but no, yesterday I received a text from her mom a half hour after I should have been there.

"Is everything okay? Are you still coming?"


Panic set in when I saw her text. I had been sitting on the couch, chatting with Chuck.  I spat a hurried goodbye at my sweet husband, and tore around the house trying to get the wild-eyed puppies into their crates. I sprinted down the sidewalk in my bare feet with my shoes in my hands. 

How embarrassing. Why did I think I needed to be there at 7:45? I've been going at 6:45 for two months. My heart was racing by the time I opened their door and let myself in. We had a wonderful time together, and I have to admit, being with Elise was much more relaxing than cleaning up mouse poop, setting traps, and dealing with rambunctious puppies.

Last night the rain began. As I mentioned, I have a dog who hates going out in the rain. Yesterday after dinner, he peed on the porch to avoid going out in the yard. Then before bed, Chuck discovered Bristol had peed on the mat rather than bothering to ring the bell. Why would he ring the bell? He didn't want to go outside. He just wanted to pee. Ugh. That dog's nickname of BLISTER is going to replace his real name before he knows it.

Chuck pointed out this was my third wild morning in a row. Yes. Yes, it is. Any type of normalcy would be most welcome tomorrow, or even later today would be nice.  

I get to play with Elise in a few minutes. I set myself two reminders on my phone, and I have the timer set on my oven. I'm not going to be late today!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go practice some deep breathing and listen to some soothing music. I need to hurry up and relax. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!