Monday, March 20, 2017

Shocking Profanity in Children's Lit

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a school teacher in rural Utah, at one of the best elementary schools in the world. Occasionally, I wrote down little incidents I wanted to remember later, when my rememberer wasn't working so well. This is one of my teacher stories.

One of my students walked up to me during our silent reading time, and whispered, "Teacher, my book's got a lot of swear words in it!"

"Really? What are you reading?" 

It was Farm Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Seemed innocent enough, but goodness knows I've been wrong before. 

Farmer Boy

"Look," he said, opening the pages so I could see. I smiled. 

There, in black and white, the shocking word glared up at me.

he'll


"That word is 'he'll'...like 'he WILL,'" I explained.

"Ohhhh," he responded, mulling over this new information, as he returned to his desk. 

No wonder my student was thinking it was such a shocking piece of literature. I doubt that the book was making any sense at all with little things like apostrophes standing in the way of basic comprehension. Some of us obviously needed a review of contractions. I made a note of it in my plan book, silently chuckling to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!