Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Unknotting My Knickers

So someone took offense yesterday at my calling myself a rennie, and my defining a rennie as someone who loves to go to Renaissance faires. My blog wasn't intended to be controversial, and if you know me at all, I avoid confrontation, almost to the extreme. And I've stewed and thought, and thought and stewed about the comment ever since. I must admit I was beginning to get my knickers in a knot.

First of all, I apologize if any of you found my terminology or definition offensive. My main point was to thank the wonderful shopkeeper and owner for their personalized service, and to show my friends my new ren faire garb. I was celebrating, and having fun. That's all.

In this day and age, when people self-identify with the gender of their choice, and can use whichever bathroom in which they feel most comfortable, I figure I am within my rights to identify myself however I want, even to go so far as to use the term rennie; no offense.

Most people didn't give it a second thought, and if they did, they didn't take the time to take me to task in public. I wasn't looking for anyone's approval or permission; I was simply recounting the events of my day, and having fun with my blog, counting myself among our friends at Bristol.

Perhaps I have a habit of calling myself things I'm trying to grow into. I call myself a photographer. My husband has been shooting for 15 years; I've been actively shooting for about five. For some reason, he is okay with my being a self-proclaimed photographer. I say that I'm a drummer, too, and we all know that's a stretch, but there are few who would call me out on it, or tell me I have not earned the right to call myself one. 

I'm so done with labels, and people telling others who they can or can't be, what they can or can't do, and what they can or can't say. I allowed others to do my thinking for me for far too long when I was younger. I put up with others dictating my mood and feelings longer than I should. I've paid my dues as a human, and I get to say what I want, write what I want, and do what I want, as long as I'm not hurting anyone else.

People are entitled to label themselves, if they like, but please don't tell me how I have to label myself. As far as I know, we're not competing for who is rennie-er than whom, or who has been taking pictures the longest, or who drums best.  I love doing what I do, and I just have fun writing about those experiences. 

I can be anything I want to be. My mama said so. If I want to call myself a rennie, I can do that. And if I want to be offended by someone's comments, I can do that, too, but you know what? I've decided I need to let it go. I'm going to unknot my knickers. In some elite circles, apparently, rennie is a name only granted when one has paid one's dues. I will respect that; that's admirable. 

In my own circle, we, who some might deem unfit to be called rennies, can call ourselves whatever we want, so, rennie it is.

6 comments:

  1. I want to be a "Pepper"...you know..."I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper...wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too. Be a Pepper, drink Dr Pepper." But, I wouldn't mind being a little be rennie also...it sings old England to me and I'm all about my UK islands...

    So...good for you Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle. Your family would love the ren faire. As Bridger said, "It's just hard to take it all in; there's so much here." It's true. It's overwhelmingly wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I personally love seeing your pictures. I get a little envious. It looks like such a fun place to be. Please be a Rennie and a photographer anytime you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharron, thanks so much for supporting me with your encouragement!

      Delete
  3. You are a Rennie, A photographer and oh,yeah, a writer. I love your Ren Faire pictures and blogposts. I also love watching you adjust to your new life and Chicago. You be what you want. Know that we enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad people enjoy it. Thanks for saying so many nice things, Stella.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!