Sunday, April 17, 2016

Reflections on Nourishment

At the end of my blog post N Is for Nourish, I said I would grab a cup of coffee while we think about our answers to some thought-provoking questions and open-ended statements about nourishment. Well, I wasn't kidding. I'm doing just that.



This was the question posed by Rachel from Healthy Chicks, in her article, "What Nourishes Your Mind, Body, & Soul?" 

What makes me feel nourished?

Rachel then suggested that we take things further by writing our answers to the following:

These are the foods that nourish my body…
These are the activities that nourish my soul…
These are the thoughts that nourish my mind…

For me, nourishment is not just nutrition. I want the full experience when it comes to feeding my body, soul, and mind. I want nutrition; what's good for me; sure, but I also want flavor, variety, and occasional indulgences.

That being said, here is what I have come up with:

These are the foods that nourish my body…
fresh vegetables, fruit, and protein. I love roasted vegetables (green beans, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) and salads, fresh fruit (mangoes, strawberries, tangerines, and apples), and juicy meats, protein shakes, and cottage cheese. I won't feel deprived if I indulge in some salted caramel ice cream, and a chocolate chip cookie every now and again. 

These are the activities that nourish my soul…
praying, reading, writing, photography, hiking, nature, and spending time with my family and friends. Solitary activities like praying, reading, and writing insure that I spend some quiet time reflecting. Being outdoors, and spending time with Chuck and the kids or a good friend revitalize me.

These are the thoughts that nourish my mind…

I have enough; I am enough. 

In this moment; right here, right now; I am okay, and there is something to be grateful for. Find it. 

I don't have to do anything to prove my worth; it is enough to be myself. 

Setting an intention for the day gives my life purpose, and helps me make the most of my time.


So, my coffee has cooled, and the sun is coming up. I'm glad I took the time to think about these things. What about you? Do you have any thoughts you'd like to share on what nourishes you?  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!