Monday, August 6, 2018

Rainy Days and Mondays

How could I make this Monday the best day ever, I wondered as I backed the car out of the garage into a light drizzle of rain. There had to be a silver lining in the dark clouds of this morning. I had woken up at 3:30 with a headache, but hey, at least I slept past two, which is always a plus. And the rain? My dead lawn would welcome every drop, so I would try to do the same.


Heading to the Kane County Courthouse for jury duty, I tried to put a positive twist on the morning, so far. Since I was up before the sun, I'd been able to linger over my coffee and do some reading. There was time to edit photos and snuggle with Bristol. Since the jury dress code was business casual, I chose a simple dress, lightweight jacket, and nice leather, open-toed slides. 

Chuck would be working from home, and rather than focus on the fact that we wouldn't really see much of each other, at least he wouldn't have to worry about that miserably long commute today, and he would be home when I returned. 


Even though I was initially flabbergasted that the memo from the juror website said cell phones were not allowed, I'd selected a couple of books I would enjoy reading if things got slow while I was waiting. It was barely raining when I parked the car, so I left my umbrella in the car with my cell phone. 


There was a steady stream of people exiting the courthouse when I walked in at quarter to eight. How early did that place open anyway? The line for the metal detector was growing, but the line for the jury selection was stretching farther and farther down the hall. Going to jury selection was like going to the airport without the fun anticipation of a vacation. But I was trying to find a positive perspective, wasn't I? 

When the women in front of me engaged in conversation, I happily joined them. Pretty soon it was evident that the steady stream of people leaving the courthouse were being turned away from jury selection. Oh, that I could be that lucky. 



"Someone dropped the ball," I overheard the bailiff say to another potential juror. No one should have been called in for jury duty today. We were told to call tonight to find out if we have to report tomorrow. When I think of all the schedules that had to be rearranged, and the general inconvenience, I decided I'd just be grateful I work for a very understanding family who will manage without my babysitting, if need be. 


A group of people had gathered in front of the glass doors of the courthouse, watching as a mid-summer storm poured down on the sidewalk. I kicked off my shoes, put them in my small tote, and pushed open the door. It had been awhile since I'd splashed through puddles in bare feet, or had felt rain pelt my head. I stopped scurrying, and just tucked my bag under my jean jacket. The water was running in a small stream along the cement curb. By the time I got to the car, my hair was flat and dripping, and my shoulders were wet. I smiled at the sight of myself in the rearview mirror.


Do you know what I love almost more than planned adventures? I adore canceled plans; especially those that may not have been considered very fun in the first place. I went home, hugged my husband who was busily working at his computer, and took Bristol upstairs for a nap. 

There is some disagreement about how long I actually slept, but the first time I woke up at noon, I was in a state of panic. I knew I needed to be somewhere today, but when I saw Bristol sleeping beside me, I knew it wasn't morning. Eventually my brain slowed down enough to realize I'd just startled myself from a very deep sleep. I texted Chuck that I was slowly waking up, and I fell back to sleep. For awhile. A very long while, according to the hubster.

The afternoon that I thought would be spent in a stuffy courtroom has actually passed pleasantly at home with Chuck, working at our computers with the puppies nearby. This rainy day and Monday did not get me down. There were many silver linings to be found in the grey clouds of this rainy day.

P.S. My day just got even better! I have been excused from jury selection at this time. My services will not be needed. Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!