Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Heat Got Ya Down?



Gramercy to Odorferious ThunderBottom for the kind use of his portrait.

The Bristol Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin is in full swing in the summer. My husband and I go every single weekend, if possible. With all my heart, I wish this faire were in the fall or spring, but alas, it is not, and it is so hot.

Heat and humidity are not my friends, and both are in abundance during the summer in the midwest. Nothing zaps my energy faster than being outside when the humidity is at 99% with no chance of rain.


Last year at the Bristol Renaissance Faire, I had a bad experience on a hot, sunny day that required first aid. I was physically exhausted, and my thinking was cloudy. It was hard to answer my husband's questions. Chuck knew something was really wrong when he told me we needed to get help, and I began to cry.


The safety and security team determined I was overheated, and treated me for dehydration. They gave me sips of Gatorade, and had me lie down on a stretcher in an air-conditioned room. They placed ice-cold, wet towels around my neck, and on my chest and head. I don't know how long I was there, but I never wanted to leave. I just wanted to sleep, and stay in that air-conditioned room.





It seems that ever since then, I am more susceptible to crashing during our long days at the faire. Bristol friends who've experienced these same symptoms have to endure more extreme conditions than I, while wearing layers of heavy Renaissance costumes; one friend compared it to wearing an upholstered sofa. They don't just sit in the shade, fanning themselves; they march in parades, dance, and perform. 


You might not DIE from the heat at Bristol, but by following the handy tips below, you will feel
a lot more comfortable.
You probably won't DIE from the heat at Bristol, but by following the handy tips below, you will have a much better time, and feel a lot more comfortable. 




These are some of the tips they have recommended to stay hydrated, and keep up electrolyte levels. 


Dandy Goodwell has been known to double up on the shade.

1. AVOID BEING IN DIRECT SUN. This is a no-brainer. (See what I did there, Kendall?) Seek out shade; there are many shows that have added sunscreens the last couple of years, and there are benches where you can rest under shady trees throughout the park. 


The Bristol Big Gulp



2. HYDRATE WITH FLUIDS. Refill your mug often at the water fountains. 




3. REPLENISH ELECTROLYTES. My brother Kevin is a medical professional, and he let me know while fluids are important, so are electrolytes. Our family P.A. said by drinking lots of plain water, I may actually be flushing too many electrolytes out of my system, which can cause me to feel sick. 



Take electrolyte tablets, or enjoy an electrolyte enhanced drink like Gatorade or Powerade from a drink vendor. Friends of Faire passes are available, and will provide you with unlimited water and Gatorade, in a shady garden area. Many friends recommend coconut water, V-8, Bloody Mary mix (sans vodka), and tomato juice, in addition to water. I've started PRE-hydrating the day before, and the morning of faire, drinking V-8 and Propel water with electrolytes. 




My favorite Ren Twins

3. EAT A DILL PICKLE. It may sound silly, but it really can help. "...Dehydration and indigestion - two of the most typical health issues out there - are both mitigated with a crisp, cool cucumber soaked in vinegar. So go ahead and chow down." (L.A. Times)





4. DRINK PICKLE JUICE, IF YOU NEED FAST ELECTROLYTES. "Yes, it turns out that pickle juice has hydrating qualities comparable to popular sports drinks. In fact, the electrolytes found in the briny juice can hydrate your body after intense physical exertion faster than the average sports drink." (from www.stack.com

And yes, those lovely young people who sell pickles will share pickle juice with you; you just have to have a cup/mug. They always appreciate tips, you know. HUZ-ZAH to the TIP-PAH!


Jason Smith, personal trainer.

5. EAT FLUID-DENSE FOODS. This tip is from Jason Smith, a personal trainer, and a member of the "Brute Squad," officially known as the Safety and Security Team at Bristol: "To recover and replenish your bodies without attempting to drown yourself in fluids, eat watermelon, tomatoes, oranges, and cucumbers/pickles. They are all fluid dense, but also possess copious amounts of electrolytes and other important micronutrients for recovery. Add them into your diet, and your body will thank you." I honestly hadn't considered that certain foods could help with hydration and electrolyte replenishment.


Laura loves her bodice chiller, and keeps it filled with ice.

6. COOL OFF WITH ICE AND WATER. I've put ice cubes against my skin, and enjoyed cooling water on my hands and neck. Bodice chillers, like my friend Laura's, pictured above, are available at the glass blower's shop at the faire.



7. REST IN THE SHADE. Don't overdo it with physical exertion. Find a shady spot, and enjoy a show. Rest every once in awhile.



8. COOL OFF WITH A FAN. Many patrons and cast members carry fans. These are available from different merchants on site. (Perhaps not as large as the ones pictured, but they will get the job done.)



9. SEEK FIRST AID. If you've given it the old "Queen's College Try," and the heat takes you down anyway, find one of the friendly people holding the bright yellow flags. The Safety and Security Team will get you the help you need to feel better. Don't wait, and don't be embarrassed. Their job is to keep us all safe and healthy, and they do it very well. 


The cast and crew at the Bristol Renaissance Faire know the ropes when it comes to staying hydrated, and replenishing electrolytes. I'd like to thank our friends for sharing your experience and tips with me. Hopefully, we can all do a better job of taking care of ourselves during these hot summer months. 




You can bet there is plenty of ice in that mug.

Magda is happily hydrated.

You'd expect BIG to have a BIG mug.



Pickles are pretty popular.
HUZZAH FOR HYDRATION!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!