Monday, April 23, 2018

Namaste

Another session of yoga had just ended. "Namaste," I whispered, with my head bowed, and my hands pressed together in front of my heart. 


This beautiful Hindi word evokes peace and calm every time I say it, and I've been saying it much more often this last month. Even on days when I didn't feel very well, I still managed to meditate with Deepak Chopra, and I even did yoga while meditating. I wasn't sure that moving during meditation was "approved;" it just felt right to me.

Meditative yoga; that's a thing, right? Spending just a few moments Googling the concept put my concerns to rest. Yes, yoga and meditation go hand-in-hand, and there are many how-to videos available online to show you how to incorporate them into your day. 

Namaste literally means “I bow to you.” According to Deepak Chopra, the most common translation is  “'the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.' Namaste is the recognition that we are all equal and share a common divinity."


In the last few years, I've enjoyed taking advantage of the free 21-day meditation experiences offered by Deepak and Oprah. The most recent one I just completed was Shedding the Weight. They offer a complete library of meditation courses, and they are always available to purchase, but I've only done the free ones. There are always free samples, and if you're interested, you can check out this link HERE, and no, I'm not paid to say that. 


Yoga has helped me in several ways. It has allowed me to feel a sense of peace at times when I'm battling anxiety. I'm happy to report that I no longer have to modify the positions like child's pose; my bum knee has lost the distinction of being a bum knee. I can completely bend it, and hold poses comfortably. My rheumatologist is proud I stuck with it. My sense of balance is growing, and I'm getting stronger. I've been working on the tree pose for the last little while, and can hold it much longer before I have to release the pose (or topple over, as the case may be.)


When I first started practicing yoga, I found a teacher I still enjoy following. Her series is called Yoga with Adriene. "Find what feels good" is her motto, and she encourages her followers to not worry about perfection, but to find our own way to do each pose; to make it work for us. 

Last Saturday morning when I woke up, I had such a headache, which is one of the side effects of one of my new medications. The thing I love about Adriene is I can go to YouTube and search "Yoga with Adriene HEADACHE" or any other key word, and I can always found something specific to help me. 

Chuck and I had a big day planned, a seven hour photo shoot for the Fox River Arts Ramble, and I really didn't want to have to do it with a miserable headache. I spent about 20 minutes doing yoga, and by the time we had eaten breakfast and walked the dogs, my head was starting to feel better. 

Yoga doesn't require a big time commitment. It's a great way for me to start the day, practicing mindfulness while stretching, balancing, and strengthening my muscles. Even when I don't feel well, especially when I don't feel well emotionally, doing yoga helps me feel better. And who wouldn't want to feel better, when that's an option? 

Namaste, friends. 





2 comments:

  1. I love yoga and the fact that I can adjust it to fit my ability and still grow. I don't make it fit and stay there. Stretching my abilities is what it is all about to me. I have followed you in your yoga journey and so happy that your bum knee is no longer a bum. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, me too, yoga is my practice of choice for feeling better in all respects - physically and emotionally. But I'm not very disciplined. I'l definitely check out your links. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!