Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Dog-Lovin' Fool

You know those people who stop conversations and drop everything when they see a dog nearby? That would be me. Dogs are such great conversation starters, and I just want to hug them all. When I’m out in public, and I have my camera, I’m always trying to sneak a shot of any of the dogs we see. I seriously have a thing for dogs. 

Bristol and Sami, 2017

Dogs have been a part of my life ever since I was a toddler. We had a steady stream of Border collies when I was little, and there were a couple of mixed breeds along the way, and even an Irish setter. 
D
For a few years, I bred Labrador retrievers, whose puppies mostly went to friends and neighbors. All of those dogs lived outside, free to roam the rural town we lived in. I liked those dogs, but I can’t say I really bonded with any of them. 

Painting  of Barney by Jackie Beidler

When we adopted Barney, the black Lab/Chesapeake Bay retriever pup who lived with us at Daddy’s and Jackie’s, I realized that dogs could be part of the family. Barney was our first inside dog. He was a knot-head of a pup, chewing the legs of Victorian furniture, destroying every garden hose, and removing each lower panel one-by-one of the screened in porch. But as Barney matured, he became a faithful companion, and an integral part of our family. Barney went camping with us, and enjoyed canoeing down the James River. He liked riding in the back of Old Blue, Daddy’s antique truck from the forties, and even unintentionally drove it down through the pasture toward the church once.

Diesel

When my son Dylan rescued a beautiful Boxer, I was more than happy to have Diesel join our family. I was kind of surprised to learn he would be living inside with us because his thin skin wouldn’t tolerate Utah’s cold winters, but secretly, I was delighted to know he would be part of our family, sharing our house with us. 

Marley

Later I adopted a darling Boston terrier. Marley was my constant companion. We shared the recliner each morning while l read and wrote, and he was my walking partner. Marley joined my boys and me on hikes through the canyons of Utah. When I surrendered him to my ex after the divorce, I did so with a very heavy heart.  

Not everyone is a dog lover; I get it. There have been times in my life when I didn’t have a dog, but I always knew that one day, when I was ready, I was going to have a dog; an inside dog. 


No one could have told me that I would have TWO dogs a the same time, but you know what? I wouldn’t have it any other way. 


As much as I like having a clean and tidy home, I have been willing to let let things slide enough to allow for dust bunnies of dog fur, and muddy paw prints on my shoes and the carpet. My authentic self knows canine companions are worth the occasional hassle of a chewed-up shoe, holes in the yard, or tracked-in dirt.


Getting to snuggle with Bristol when I am tired or sad makes me feel less tired and sad. Knowing that Sami wants to be petted even more than she wants to be fed makes me feel so needed.  


I cannot imagine a life without a dog now. Our lives are more complete sharing our home with our hooligans. I really am a dog-lovin’ fool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!