Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy

As I get older, I am delighted to discover little memories from long ago bubbling up into my consciousness, since certain critical things I need to remember for today often escape me. As long as there's a balance, that should suffice, right?


This morning, a song from childhood came to mind. The songs I sang at Vacation Bible School during the muggy summer days in Virginia were imprinted on my heart. Through singing, I learned  that Jesus loves me, and Jesus loves the little children; all the children of the world. Those songs made me happy. And then there was the Joy song, which we sang with unbridled enthusiasm. 


"I've got that joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart! 
(Where?) 
Down in my heart! 
(Where?) 
Down in my heart!

I've got that joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart;
down in my heart to stay."


Hm. As I've gotten older, I've woken up to days that felt like joy just plumb forgot to stay.

But did it really? Or was I confusing joy with those fleeting moments of happiness that came to visit, but didn't stay long? I know there are articles ad nauseam about the differences between happiness and joy, and it may seem that folks are splitting hairs about two things that seem to have much in common, but I think the differences are worth exploring. 


When it comes right down to it, the joy really does stay. Happiness is the thing that comes and goes. It seems to me happiness is something I can have for moments or days, and joyfulness is a part of who I am. 

Happiness is breathing in the first fragrance of lilacs in the spring, walking barefoot in the summer, watching autumn's jewels glisten in the trees, and sledding down a hill in winter. Happiness is a chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven, a the smell of a newborn baby, opening a letter from a friend, or reading a good book under a fleecy blanket. 


It's hard to feel happy when we are grieving, or when we are depressed, or when we are lonely. There have been times when I felt like I was in the depths; you know, that dark place our minds go when we feel like we are spinning out of control, or when people have let us down, or when we are riddled with anxiety. 



Joy is that overriding feeling that no matter how bad today seems, things will get better. Joy reminds us how precious each day is, and that we have infinite worth. Joy is having faith that we are learning important lessons about life and ourselves when we are uncomfortable, or feeling unsatisfied. 

When I allow myself to dwell in the discomfort of an unhappy moment, and I don't try to deny the way I feel; if I sit long enough with those feelings, I usually am able to remind myself that I am safe, I'm okay, and everything is going to work out. There is a sense of calm, and yes, even a glimmer that rekindles joy in my heart at times like those.



Karen Gillespie reminds us:

"Joy is our natural state; we all have access to it, no matter what craziness happens in our lives."



Whenever you are blessed with happiness, no matter how fleeting, embrace the moment, and try to remember we have joy to tide us over when our circumstances are less than ideal.

Be joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!