Monday, February 13, 2017

PUPPY TALES: A Two Puppy Home

The coffee on the counter was cold. The smoothie in the blender sat untouched. No yoga for me today. There were empty dog food bowls to be filled, puppies to take outside, and Chuck needed breakfast. What had happened to our morning routine? 

They are already good at "SIT." I thought it would be a long time before they would respond together. What a nice surprise!

Saturday we adopted two puppies, and our lives have been turned upside down, but in a good way; I think. While our nights are all out of whack, our days are filled with so much good stuff: dog walks in the fresh air and sunshine, puppy kisses and cuddles, games of fetch, and our devoted canines at our sides while we work at our computers.



Last night I set my phone with several alarms throughout the night. For now, our pups need to go potty every 2-3 hours.

The puppies seem to have no trouble falling back to sleep after potty breaks. I, on the other hand, struggle. (Was it only last week I was saying my Himalayan salt rock lamp had cured my insomnia?) I'm hoping in about five more months, our whole household will be sleeping through the night again. Fingers crossed.

I think they're starting to actually like each other.
Our home has an open floor plan, and we have had to get creative in our attempts to limit where the dogs can go. There are boxes blocking off the hallway. Furniture is blockading the carpeted area of the family room. The dog crate is positioned in the doorway between the kitchen and office. As Chuck says, "The feng shui of our house is all messed up now." If we ever had any feng shui going on in the first place. 

Samwise Gamgee, aka Sam

When I see how happy Chuck is to have his little black shadow as they walk down the street, I know he has found the perfect dog for him. Sam sleeps at his feet in his office while he is at his computer, and she scampers around him happily when it's time to play. Chuck loves throwing a tennis ball for Sami, and she loves to bring it back to him. She is fulfilling my husband's dream of having a little Lab of his own.
Bristol

When Bristol puts his paws on my shoulders and lays his head on my chest to doze, I am in heaven. He seems to "heel" naturally on the leash, without much encouragement from me. I've had Labs most of my adult life, and found them to be very challenging puppies for me to control, and I was ready for a calm and steady companion this time. Bristol is the dog of my dreams. 

Bristol is already such a good walking partner.

We're only on day three with our fur babies. We've sure spent a lot of money in the last couple of days, with the adoption fees, dog crate, puppy food, leashes, dishes, and toys. We both sleep less. Our house is no longer the tidy home it used to be. Do I regret taking on two puppies at once?


No, I don't; not even a little. One of my favorite quotes from Dean Koontz is this:

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."


We've both had good dogs of our own, and we felt the time was right to have them as a couple. I feel like our lives are happy and complete, especially now that Bristol and Sam have joined us. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

MORE PUPPY TALES:


I Accidentally Fell in Love
  


All Bets Are Off  

Furever Home  

Doggone It! Have a Happy Heart Day!

Just What Kind of Dog Is Bristol? 

The Difference Is Like Night and Grey










4 comments:

  1. I wish you could have heard Anna's response when I showed her pics of Sam and Bristol! They are both adorable. I loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think they're pretty adorable, too, but we're VERY biased. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Janna.

      Delete
  2. Makes me want to get a puppy, but we just bought new carpet a month ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad new carpet is in our FUTURE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!