Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Snow Much Fun

When was the last time you actually laughed out loud? No, I don't count those times you responded to a text with LOL. And I don't mean when you used the phrase "literally just laughed out loud," when you actually just smiled a little harder than usual. I'm talking about those deep belly laughs that uncontrollably bubble up, and fill the air with audible joy.


For me, I truly laughed out loud on New Year's Day. My husband graciously took me sledding against his better judgment. Chuck says he warned me (about going out in sub-zero temperatures). He gave me information (about hypothermia). Nevertheless, I persisted. 

Persistence pays off.


I AM SO GLAD I DID. 

The air was bitterly cold, and apparently the fear of hypothermia discouraged everyone else on our side of town from sledding; we had the hill at Langum Park to ourselves. PERFECT. I hate being the only adult in lines of children, waiting my turn to go down the hill. 

Our small, plastic sled somehow managed to hold us both. I sat down first, and Chuck plopped down behind me, and we proceeded to act like little kids while we monopolized the sledding hill.

No waiting at Langum Park! Apparently, Chuck is not alone in his cautious attitude.
When we hit the first little bump, the bottom of the sled cracked, and my feet popped out from the front of the sled. My boots stretched out in front of us, kicking up a spray of icy snow into my face. I laughed even harder. When we came to a stop, I collapsed against Chuck, weak from my giggles, then I rolled onto the snow so we could head back up the hill for another run.


Chuck does not share my enthusiasm for winter, snow, or cold. His response to winter weather is cocooning in the house, which I love, too. I just think that being cozy indoors is even more wonderful after a good romp in the snow. 



If you would have told me earlier last week that I would be able to convince Chuck to take me sledding when the temps dropped below zero, I would have had my doubts. The only outing that is worth braving the cold, in Chuck's estimation, is going to the library. He isn't keen on spending any more time outdoors than it takes to scurry from the car to a heated building. And yet, I still held out hope that we would go sledding anyway.



The dogs and I had a nice long morning together on the couch early on New Year's Day, thanks to my waking at 2:30. When I checked The Weather Channel, I may have frowned just a little. With the windchill factor, the temperature was 30 below. Gah. I admit it; that is cold, but seriously, would we DIE if we went sledding? I didn't think so.



By the time Chuck woke up New Year's Day, the weather outside was still pretty frightful. I told him things should warm up to above zero later. He didn't seem impressed with that tidbit of information, but let me tell you what kind of husband I have. 

If Chuck knows there is something he can do that will make me happy, he will do everything in his power to make it happen. What I had interpreted as overly cautious and hesitant the day before turned into determination to make my little wish come true the next day.


Each time we pushed off from the top of the hill, I laughed until we came to a stop at the bottom. During our second run, our sled cracked even more, and we lost a big chunk of the bottom. Did that stop us? Heck, no! We just dumped the snow out of our sled, brushed the snow off our pants, and trudged back up the hill.


We had SNOW. MUCH. FUN. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!