Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Love Will Prevail

Maybe I was a little premature in tapering off of my antidepressants, what with the onset of Daylight Savings Time, the election, and all. Yeah, quitting antidepressants was probably the dumbest move of my year so far, considering winter is swiftly approaching, and I have had to battle seasonal affective disorder in the past.

My emotions need a reset. Ever since the middle of the night Sunday, I have had a black cloud hanging over me. There has been a sense of dread, sadness, and worry. While I know that I am actually safe, and fine, and loved, my heart feels threatened. Maybe yours does, too. And no wonder.

Our country has been so divided. There has been so much hate, distrust, and anger. Each morning, I have felt like my emotions have been poking me with a stick, reminding me to worry and to be anxious. If happiness is an inside job, I have much work to do, starting with myself.

It was not yet 4:00 when I reached for my phone on the nightstand. The blue light glowed in my hand as my iPhone delivered the election results. Sigh. So many of my friends were reeling from the news. And some of my friends were celebrating the victory. The division continues. My week was not getting any better. 

You can bet I dug to the back of our medicine cabinet this morning, and popped one of those green pills into my mouth before I even had my first cup of coffee this morning. What do I do now? Sit on the couch, and wait for the antidepressants to work? Ain't nobody got time for that. 


We have work to do today, my friends. There is still good in this world, all around us, and it is up to us to find it, to point it out, and to promote it. Look for the good. Have faith in our fellow countrymen. We need to lift each other up.


We, the people, can make a difference. Today, we need to remind each other that we are here for each other. We need to see the love and the goodness that has always been here, and we need to remember that together, we are a force with which to be reckoned. 



For me, that means I need to work extra-hard at being grateful; at finding the positives. I need to look outside of myself, and find others who may need encouragement and love at this time. I need to count my blessings, and I may need to help others count theirs.


Right now, I need to immerse myself in goodness and love. Reaching out to friends and family helps. Counting my blessings helps. Loving the people I know best helps. Doing something for someone else with no expectation of reciprocation helps.

Slow deep breaths always help me feel better. It is a place to start this morning; just breathing. While this week has been challenging for me, I'm grateful to still feel emotionally strong enough to count the blessings I have. It's not the stuff, the material goods. It's the people, and their good hearts. You, my family and friends, are my biggest blessings.

We will continue to love and support each other. We will continue to fight the good fight. Love will prevail, even when life seems oppressive and dark. I believe that with all my heart. We can embrace each other with hope. Hope will keep the flame of love alive. Let our love unite us.

Hate will never win, if I have a say, and I believe I do. I believe we all do. Let love prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!