Friday, November 4, 2016

To the Morning

I am thankful for mornings. I love the earliest hours of the day because that is a legitimate time to be futzing and puttering around the house, and gearing up to have my brain engaged and productive. Morning means night is over, and I can finally get up. It is peaceful, and so quiet, and I'm the only one awake. I am totally in charge of this time of day.


Just lately, I've been listening to some of my favorite musicians from the 80s, and by 80s, I don't mean hair bands. I loved John Denver, the Carpenters, James Taylor, Carly Simon, and Dan Fogelberg. This is one of my favorite songs by Dan, "To the Morning."




Last night I woke frequently, the first time around 10:20, and then several more times as the night dragged on. I was so relieved to see 4:38 on the clock. I could finally get up, and get the day started! I grabbed my tank top and yoga pants, and headed downstairs. 


My morning routine is quiet, and sets the tone for my day. While I stretch every single muscle on my yoga mat, the aroma of coffee drifts from the kitchen as the coffee maker gurgles and sputters. As soon as I whisper my namasté at the conclusion of my session of yoga I roll up my mat, and head to the kitchen to make myself a sweet, creamy cup of coffee. The next little while I settle into my recliner and read from the Book of Psalms, and sip on my cup of joe, reminding myself to be intentional, and to seek the spirit throughout the day. After I have taken this time for myself, I feel more alert, and ready to face the day. There is so much to look forward to still. Breakfast with Chuck, our chat during his commute, and watching the sunrise.


Today was, as Chuck calls it, "Bring Your Beautiful Bride to Work" day. I just call it "Take Your Wife to Work Day." We both like alliteration, so both phrases work. It's Friday, and we love going to Deerfield together so we can start our date night as soon as he gets off work at 3. 

We watched the sunrise together, and then we spent a little time at his office before his meetings started, and then we parted company until lunch. 


It was only eight in the morning, and I was looking forward to walking around the Lone Wolf Forest Preserve. The sun was climbing in the sky, but it was chilly in the shade along the trail. I wished I'd packed some light gloves for my hands. I took some photos with my phone, and just soaked up the serenity around me. 


I even saw a cardinal. It made me think of Daddy, and my eyes began to sting. "Good morning, Daddy. I don't even know if you can hear me, but just in case, I love you so much, and I miss you." I will always miss my dad. 



Now I'm at the library, and enjoying this time to write and read. Enjoy your day, friends. It's going to be a good one!


"Yes, it's going to be a day.

There is really nothing left to say but
'Come on, morning.'"
-Dan Fogelberg 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!