Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Putting Things Back



When we got married right before Christmas in 2014, Chuck encouraged me to make his house our home. He knew there would be changes, and for the most part, he has been happy with them. 


There are some things we each do differently, which don't cause any big problems. As long as I am willing to maintain things the way I like them, he has pretty much given me carte blanche to decorate the house to my liking. Chuck prefers a more austere practical approach to housekeeping, while I love dressing things up with holiday knick-knacks, decorative pillows, and pretty table cloths. He likes to keep things simple, so while I'm away, I make sure to leave the house the way he likes it. 


There is a routine I follow before I leave town, out of respect to him. I wash the table cloth, and put it away, leaving the table easier to wipe off after a meal. The toaster gets to stay out on the counter, instead of being hidden in the cabinet, and I put away my Brita water pitcher so there's more room for his blue Powerades on the top shelf of the fridge. The bran cereal gets moved to the top of the fridge, convenient for my tall husband to grab when he makes his own breakfast. I unplug the coffee maker, since it won't get used for the week. I leave his blanket and pillows out on the couch so when he has his early morning headaches, he can relax without having to drag things out each day. 

When I make our bed the morning I'm flying out of Chicago, I remove the frou-frou pillows, and fold the comforter at the foot of the bed, knowing he will only use the top sheet, and maybe the fleece blanket, if it gets really chilly. 


Now that I'm back home, I'm restoring the house to its homier state. Candles are burning. I've covered the table with one of my favorite tablecloths, and decorated it with a seasonal centerpiece, which happens to be vase full of candy corn and some cheerful mums. The cereal boxes and bread are hidden away in the cupboards. 



The bed is made, complete with the comforter and the shams. 



All of the blankets have been folded and put away that were scattered on the couches. My coffeemaker has already made a pot of coffee, and my Brita pitcher is full of cold water in the fridge. 

I'm not the only one who makes things nice around here, though. Ever since my first day here in Chicagoland two years ago, Chuck has been so good about one important thing. He makes a special point to make sure the toilet seats are down. What a thoughtful man!

Yep, I'm back. It was a wonderful visit in Utah with my kids, and it is very good to be home with my Handsome again. I couldn't be happier if I tried.  


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!