Friday, October 21, 2016

Got Everything?

When you pack for a trip, are you a list maker, or do you just kind of throw things together? My husband and I each have our own way of preparing. He is a lister, I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl. I do have an ESSENTIAL list (meds, phone, charger, credit card, ID) somewhere, but I don't often refer to it. The differences between us usually cause some last minute stress, but luckily, one of us helps the other of us remember the necessities.

"Does it frustrate you when I ask you to make sure you have packed everything you need?" my husband asked me one time while we were on our way to the airport.

"Well, yes, it does. I've been traveling across the country by myself since I was 18. I think I can manage to remember the things I need," I said.



Flashback to a couple weeks ago. The sun wasn't up yet, and we were heading out the door for O'Hare once again. "Do you have everything you need?" Chuck asked.

Sigh. "Would you like me to show my license to you?"

"That would be nice, if you don't mind."

I may have rolled my eyes, ever so slightly, as I pulled my license out of my mini-purse.

"Thank you," he said. "Do you have everything else you need?"


My hand was on the doorknob. I took a deep breath. "Pretty sure I'm ready to go. Are you ready?"

"Are you sure you're sure?" he asked. Seriously, my patience was wearing a little thin.


"I have everything. Let's go."

"You're going to be gone a week. I will be sad if I don't get to talk to you while you're gone."

I wasn't getting it. He was taking this a little far. And then I saw where his eyes were focused. On the table. On my iPhone on the table.



I had to laugh. I like to think I'm so independent, and can do everything myself, but sometimes, I have to admit that Chuck is just watching out for me, and wanting to be helpful. No, as it turns out, I didn't have everything, and apparently, I do need a little help. Lucky for me, Chuck is here to ask the important questions. 

As long as I have Chuck, I'm pretty sure I'll always have everything I ever need.




10 comments:

  1. I don't so much have a list as a particular way of packing--but even so I've forgotten things. In my defense though, most often, things have been forgotten when I've had "help".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh, Crystal! Thanks for the smile!

      Delete
  2. I'm a lister but only for the most important stuff - phone, boarding passes, etc. This gave me a chuckle (no pun intended) over how Chuck handled it : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this spoke to me today, a day when I remember the power of collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a team, we're unstoppable! LOL.

      Delete
    2. This made me laugh. I identify pretty much with Chuck - in fact am paranoid about packing.

      Delete
  4. Oops - couldn't see where to leave comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post! "As long as I have Chuck, I am pretty sure I will always have everything I need." I found that line very romantic ;)
    I am the list maker and planner in my relationship, however I have to be because I can get frazzled and VERY absentminded. However, my boyfriend who flies by the seat of his pants stays cool headed and is often saving me from forgetting vital things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My usual response when my travel partner (usually a sister or my best friend) asks me if I have everything is to say, "Well - I'm pretty sure they will have those places where you can go with money, take items off the shelf, pay for them and walk out!"

    These days, as long as I have my transfer board, wheelchair battery charger, Bi-Pap machine, cell phone, phone charger, credit card, and photo ID, I can make it through!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!