Saturday, September 1, 2018

Oh, Baby!

Who doesn't love babies? Aren't babies just the nicest way to start people? 

Babies and children are some of my favorite kind of folks. Going into elementary education was a no-brainer for me. Whenever people asked me, "If you hadn't become a teacher, what do you think you would have chosen for a career?" The answer usually came quickly, even though I believe I made the right choice to go into education all those years ago.



Photography would have been my second choice for a career. Specifically, I wanted to be a children's photographer. 


Last weekend, that little dream of mine came true, and it was everything I'd hoped it would be, and more. Chuck and I had been invited to the Build Coffee shop on the campus of the University of Chicago to photograph a group of mothers and babies who were celebrating Black Breastfeeding week.


Jenny LeFlore is kind of a big deal in Chicago, and is known to many as Fresh Mama Chi. This little dynamo of a mom organizes activities and events for young mothers and their children throughout the city. Jenny has been interviewed by different radio stations and the Chicago Tribune, and she has her own blog, Mama Fresh Chi


Fourteen mamas and their little ones gathered in the shade of the coffee shop's patio to sit and chat, while each of them took a turn having their pictures taken. Jenny and her assistant Pariss turned the patio into the perfect outdoor studio, adding plants, pillows, and pops of color. 

Photo Credit: Chuck Bennorth of Bennorth Images

During the mini photo sessions, Jenny would engage each mother in conversation, asking how long they had been nursing their babies, and chatting about their successes, and the challenges of breastfeeding. 



Look at these little faces. Look at the adoration in their mothers' eyes, and the complete trust the babies have for their mamas. It's hard not to feel the love.

While I have no regrets about my thirty year teaching career, now that I'm retired, I'm so grateful for this second chance to be that photographer I had dreamed of becoming now that I have the time.


For more photos and information about the Fresh Mamas of Chicago photo shoot, hop on over to our photography blog at Bennorth Images. Our website is brand new, and we're pretty proud to finally have it up and running.














A big thank you to Jenny for inviting Bennorth Images to photograph her Mama Fresh event.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!