Monday, February 10, 2014

The Gifts of Now

When I let our little Boston Terrier out, I joined him on the deck, not bothering to turn the lights on. I could hear the creek rushing down the hill, and there were several ultra-bright visible stars in the pitch blackness of the five o'clock sky.  The air was moist, which is unusual in our desert climate, so I knew it had rained, and probably would rain again.  The jingling of dog tags at my feet let me know Marley was ready to go back to the sanctuary of our home.  As I put my hand on the cold brass doorknob, I noticed there were some clouds, but the sky seemed mostly clear, the kind of day that could go either way.

And then I thought, that's how every day is, but rather than allowing the clouds to determine which way it goes, I need to be sure to set my thoughts so my attitude can allow it to be the best day possible.  Even before the daylight can confirm what is in store for this day, I can decide what kind of day it is going to be inside the house, and inside my head.

Right now, Marley is snuggled up against my legs on the recliner, under my blanket. I hate to even get up to fix another cup of coffee, or start breakfast. It is just so nice to have his company, and I don't know what the rest of this week will bring.  The only sound outside of my thoughts is the soft hum of the forced air from the furnace.  All is well in our corner of the universe.

That thought reminds me to be grateful for this moment, for soft blankets, and a sweet dog, for good coffee, and a comfortable chair, for a new day, and a warm house.  None of us ever really have more than this moment in time, so we better figure out what there is to be appreciated.  By taking stock of what is good and right with now, we can count our blessings, and come to the realization that while our lives may not be perfect, there are small gifts of perfection to be found in every moment. 


8 comments:

  1. And it's so lovely when we see the small gifts are HUGE. And amen re thoughts. They are marvellous things we create our experience with. As the great Steve Chandler says when it rains one person says, 'Oh, no, not rain again.' and another says, 'Hooray, rain. I love the rain. It makes me so happy.' In reality it's just rain. The rain doesn't have the power to make us happy or miserable. We do. HUGS xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no such thing as bad weather, there are just many kinds of good weather. I don't remember who said that, but I can tell we agree. Thanks for posting, Lianne!

      Delete
  2. Hi Denise- Whitney from Happier here. Finally got a chance to pop on over and check out your musings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Whitney! Thanks for dropping by! It's always a joy to hear from another Happier!

      Delete
  3. Denise, I can relate! Your comments sound like expanded Happier posts!
    Pat H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I love words, as you can see. Happier limits how much I can say...there, a picture HAS to be worth 1000 words!

      Delete
  4. Reading this felt like just sitting on the deck with you watching the light play of the sky together while drinking a nice warm cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!