Thursday, February 27, 2014

*I Write, and I Write, and I Write

To have the time to write was always the issue for me. Yes, I could have gotten up earlier, or gone to bed later, when I was raising my family, but I didn't. I could have carved out a special time that became my sacred writing hour when my children were leaving the nest, but I didn't. I could've committed to a part-time writing schedule when I was finishing up the last of my thirty year teaching career, but I didn't.

My consistent writing practice began the the first of June last year, when my eternal summer vacation began. 272 days of retirement, so far, and I have 270 blog entries. I can't NOT write now.

For me, writing is free therapy. I can explore the jumbled thoughts that tumble around inside my head, and by the time I organize them, and put them on paper, the chaos subsides, and peace is restored, if only temporarily, until the next batch of thoughts starts to assemble.

Every time a slow panic starts to simmer, and worry nibbles at my brain about having enough writing material to sustain a daily blog, I realize that it is time to restore balance in my life. All it takes to stimulate more ideas is more living, and less writing. If writing is all I did, there wouldn't be much for me to say. I find that spending a day with my camera, hiking outdoors, or visiting loved ones, or reading a book written by another writer, is usually all it takes to get my juices flowing again.

My memories are triggered by reading the works of others. My own feelings and emotions are stirred when experiencing an event for the first time, or revisiting a place or event, even if only in my mind. What I write is memoir.

When I write memoir, I'm intimately familiar with all of the elements of the story, and I find them easily managed. I don't have to figure out all of those pieces of the story puzzle because all of the elements have already been sorted for me; my only job is to retell the tale in such a way that others can experience the story through my writing.

Writing is one of the few professions in which you can psychoanalyze yourself, get rid of hostilities and frustrations in public, and get paid for it.  -Octavia E. Butler
This quote from Octavia Butler intrigues me because the free therapy is one of the reasons I am drawn to writing. I haven't felt the need to return to counseling because I ask myself the tough questions now, and explore the answers myself, without needing to sit on someone else's couch, and to pay them to listen to me think out loud. The thing that really intrigues me, now that I'm retired, is now to figure out how to make money at what I love doing. I trust that by keeping at it, and keeping myself open to the possibilities, I will figure out that missing piece for myself. Until then, I write, and I write, and I write. The answers will come; they always do.

8 comments:

  1. You have a very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheleena. I hope you will feel welcome here!

      Delete
  2. Writing is great tharapy! Hmm, my shrink threw me out years ago - maybe that's why I write, too. Fiction intimidates me as well. I can do the very short stuff, but get more than two characters involved and I'm back to essays. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm glad I'm not alone on the fiction. ONE day, maybe I'll attempt a short story. Maybe a magazine article. I've submitted; not takers yet.

      Delete
  3. Denise, As always you open your heart and thoughts with honesty. I have watched you grow as a writer just in the two months I have known you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I hope I am growing. They say our trials strengthen us. I've had to dig deep lately. I hope something good is coming out of all of this. Thank you for your kindnesses.

      Delete
  4. Denise, this is my second comment. I wrote the first one for meaning and this one, as therapy. I think your blog may be stealing my comments and hiding them from you.

    I am offering a sacrifice of rice crispy treats to your blog gods to sneak this past them.

    I really enjoyed you post because it reminds me how we can wait forever for the perfect conditions to write, only delaying the process when in fact, writing should be stepped up in our priorities. And thank you, I was going to call my therapist to deal with anger issues over the misuse comment and then realized I could write about it. Love the Olivia Butler quote too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart. TWO responses. Pour moi? Gracias! Question: what misuse comment are you referring to?

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!