Friday, February 28, 2014

Bird Walkin'

Pine Jay
"Quit your bird-walkin'." Apparently, this is a phrase often used by one of the teachers at my elementary school when students were out of their seats, and wandering around the room. My fifth graders would say it to each other, teasing, when I was ready to muster the troops for a lesson. We teachers have our own little vocabulary, and bless the students' hearts, they get to learn a new vernacular each year when they enter the microcosm of their new teacher's classroom. 
Lately, the bird-walkin' phrase has come to mind as I grab my camera, and head outside to capture the variety of birds that have returned to the canyon as our weather has become more mild. The month of February has been a string of spring-like days with clear blue skies, and temps in the sixties. Hiking in shirt sleeves has been a joy after the weeks I spent trudging through snow in hat and gloves. 

One day as I was walking to the post office, only a mile from home, I noticed a large gathering of blue birds at one home. There were several feeders hanging from a tree's bare limbs, and the birds were raucously enjoying the buffet. It seemed to be the job of a couple of the birds to spray the seeds from the feeders to the ground below as the others enjoyed the "manna from heaven." 

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera at the time, but as soon as I got back home, I grabbed my Canon Rebel, and jumped in my car, speeding back down the hill, hoping the birds hadn't finished eating all of the seeds.  I parked my car across the street, and noticed a lady walking toward them. Dang. I knew she would frighten them away. All of the birds flew up to the safety of the nearby pine trees.

When she noticed me, I decided I should explain my presence. I didn't want her to think I was some creepy stalker, especially when she noticed I had a camera, and I noticed she was walking toward the home where the birds were enjoying themselves. She told me they would all fly away when she went to the house, but to wait because they'd be back. She also told me they were called Pine Jays. I was grateful for the information. (When I went online, I think I matched these birds to some other pictures, and they are apparently also called Pinyon Jays.) Sure enough, as soon as she was inside, the birds returned to their feeding frenzy, and I was able to take some pictures.


My bird-walkin' is starting to pique my interest in the local bird population. I find myself researching birds more and more, trying to identify the birds correctly. For now, I take their pictures, enjoying their presence, and knowing that spring is closer than ever. I've taken some poor pictures of Rocky Mountain Bluebirds; they sure are active birds, always flitting to the next tree or fence post ahead of me. I know that we have a myriad of other birds, including Golden Eagles, Bald Eagles, Magpies, and common starlings and sparrows.

For your viewing pleasure, I am posting some of my favorite bird pictures taken over the last year. I have a feeling I'm becoming a birder. Pretty soon, I'll be hiking with binoculars around my neck, and I'll have Audubon Society bird identification books and journals tucked into my backpack. For now, I simply enjoy noticing them, and taking their pictures when they let me get a good look at them. I hope you enjoy them, too!



Northern Flicker?
Add caption
I'm looking forward to the return of the hummingbird season.


The wild turkeys hang out with the domestic peacocks up the canyon.



Our Boston Terrier loved to stir up the turkeys.

My favorite woodpecker, a Northern Flicker, I think.

This little guy stunned himself when he bounced off our picture window. He flew away shortly after this.

Add caption
The Bald Eagles float lazily above the canyon floor.

My Golden Opportunity (animal spirit guides) Click link for story.


12 comments:

  1. What glorious pictures. Loved the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella, I'm thinking I need to install all sorts of bird feeders so I don't have to go so far to find birds!

      Delete
  2. I loved your photos this morning, Denise! I had not heard the phrase, bird-walkin before, but I understand now. :-) It brought a smile. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thanks for stopping by my blog. I apologize for the tardiness of my response. I just found these! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Oh my. Looooooooooooooove these pics. The blue of those birds. Oh my. Thank you so much. Liane Carter xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liane, I hope you are doing WELL. I love those blue birds, too. My favorite shade of blue.

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful. Once you start "birding" you never stop. This is where I began with my Rebel. Enjoy it, my friend. God has made so many fascinating birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw these comments. THANK YOU, Melinda! Now I'm in Illinois, and rediscovering cardinals. Fingers crossed for finding an owl here!

      Delete
  5. Denise, I've always loved your photos. They add so much flair to your already beautiful prose. I've always enjoyed sharing thoughts about them with you. I just couldn't understand, for the life of me, how you could take your camera EVERYWHERE! It seemed like a burden, to be honest. This coming from a photographer too! lol Today, as I wrote my blog, I kept thinking of all the photos I wish I had to help illustrate my experience better. Moments I remember seeing, but didn't capture. I get it now! My photos are an another expression for the voice of my soul. Thank you for "getting" and sharing that wonderful concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, thanks for taking the time to write a blogment. I apologize for just now discovering these comments. I love your photography. You have such a knack for discovering just the perfect shot!

      Delete
  6. Loved looking at your bird photo collection this morning! It is such a treat to have the TIME to enjoy such simple pleasures. I think we do return to our childhood as we get older ... those bird-walkin' children will return to their core after they retire, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I just found your comment this morning. I've been thinking of you and Frank lately...wishing you comfort and peace in your memories.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!