Sunday, May 1, 2016

And So It Begins...


The time has come for me to have one more thing to try to keep track of: reading glasses. This should go well. I'm the woman with the jewelry box full of single earrings missing their mates. In the last month, I've misplaced my purse, my wallet, and the necklace Chuck gave me for our wedding. I'm sure there were more things, but I can't remember what they were. The struggle is real, folks.

Something had to give, though. I'd been noticing that my far-sighted eye was getting MUCH worse at reading, and wondered if my more frequent headaches might be alleviated by correcting that eye.


A Lasik procedure a few years ago gave me monovision; one eye corrected for distance, and the other one was left as it was for reading. It gave me the best of both worlds for several years, as my eyes adjusted to the depth of focus needed at any given moment. My near-sighted eye seems to be holding its own, but the far-sighted one has been struggling with reading and computer screens.

So, Chuck and I went to Walmart to buy some inexpensive glasses. I wanted the wildest ones I could find. Perhaps Walmart wasn't the best place to go for a wide variety of styles, but after trying on the hot pink and red ones, I chose the black and white ones with the zebra case. Woo-hoo. Yeah, I'm going to be THAT grandma.

Notice one pair is already dangling from Chuck's shirt. He's teaching me you can
never have too many glasses. 

The first thing I did when I got them home was remove the corrective glass from one side so my left eye doesn't have twice the correction it needs. If having glasses doesn't make me feel extra pretty, that one little tweak should be a confidence booster, don't you think?

Will I be the absent-minded senior searching for glasses while wearing them on top of my head, or will I finally give in to wearing them on a chain around my neck, like my grandma did, or maybe I will have to buy multiple pairs to have scattered all over the house.

Thankfully, Chuck bought the same strength I did, so for now, I'll be able to use his if mine go missing. He has glasses in the car, on the desk, counter, and kitchen table, and tucked in the collar of his polo shirt. That's what works for him.

Any bets on how long it will be before I'm looking for Chuck's glasses because I can't find mine? One week? One day? In a few hours? Time will tell...



By the way, just in case I DO lose these little $5.88 beauties, any tips on where to find plaid or polka-dotted or multi-colored glasses for a steal? I'm hoping one of you will share your source for wild and crazy glasses with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!