Monday, November 13, 2017

Desperate Times

My goal was to lose 30 pounds this year.  I joke that only 40 more to go before Christmas, and I will have made my goal. We all know that ain't happening any time soon.

How appreciative I am of closely cropped photos that focus on my smile, and ignore my tight clothes.
Photo credit: Chad Britt

Who was I kidding to think I could lose the weight I'd been gaining this year?  I did some crazy things in my attempt. One of the craziest was the Bulletproof Diet I tried last summer, but that only lasted about two weeks. 

Not a picture I'm necessarily proud of, but as you can see from the smile, I was still
happy. Taking pictures at the Ren faire is one of my favorite things to do. I was just
hoping this "BEFORE" picture would be able to show how far I was going to have
come after I lost my extra weight.  (Photo credit: Brian Berg)

The diet I followed is a secret I kept from you. I was so excited that maybe I had found the Holy Grail of weight loss, but I only told four people what I was doing. I was going to surprise you all with my amazing results, and you were going to be so happy for me, and proud of my accomplishments. If only.

Mixed feelings kept me from talking to others about my plan. I wasn't exactly proud of myself, but I was hopeful that this time, things would be different. You see, I tried the Bulletproof coffee diet. I'm not going to go into a lot of details, but suffice it to say I started my day with a couple of cups of coffee with butter blended in it, and ate two meals between noon and six.

Why would I fall for such an extreme plan? Well, you see, just a couple weeks earlier, I had told my daughter how exhausted I was, not being able to sleep. Then she shared a podcast with me from an author who promised amazing results with his approach; improved mental alertness, no cravings, quality sleep, and yes, amazing weight loss. I went to the library that day, and checked out the book. I reminded myself, "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

For two and a half weeks, I drank my coffee, ate my two meals, and drank a cup of buttery tea before bed. During that two and a half weeks, I actually started sleeping through the night. My thinking still seemed fuzzy, and my thoughts still felt disjointed, and I did NOT lose nearly a pound a day. The only plus was I was so grateful my insomnia seemed to be going away.

This summer, I hated that my beautiful Renaissance costume made by Susan Blanchard had
gotten too small, but I wore it anyway. Desperate to change the way my clothes fit, I tried a crazy eating plan
that backfired on me. (Photo credit: Trisha Wagner)

An unsettling thing happened two weekends in a row; I experienced very uncomfortable symptoms that I had to assume were dehydration while we were at the Bristol Renaissance faire. I felt dizzy. I couldn't think clearly enough to answer simple questions. Both times, when Chuck suggested we get me some help, I started to cry. 

When we walked up the hill toward food and water, my steps were uncertain, and I wasn't sure I would be able to make it on my own power. My friend Vicki from security chided me for not eating, and I promised I would drink more, and stop my drastic measures to lose weight. Chuck, too, made me promise I would not live on coffee and grain-fed butter, and that I would eat real food again.

I'm not even going to try to explain the Bulletproof program because I will sound crazy. When Dave Asprey explains it, he sounds all science-y and smart. One of my friends had enjoyed the eating plan, and had gotten the results she wants, but when I thought about what it was doing to me, I realized it was not good for me.

So it wasn't for a lack of trying that I wasn't losing weight this year. Before the Bulletproof fiasco, I tried counting macros. I obsessed about keeping my carbs, fats, and proteins in the specified ranges. And before the macros, I tried My Fitness Pal app, keeping track of my walking and eating. 

While I watched "My Fitness Pals'" weight numbers go down on the app, I watched my own hover, and then, HORRORS, the numbers started going up. Why would they go up, you might wonder. 

Well, when I'm calorie counting, I don't have any problem trading healthy food calories for junk food calories. I was hungry all the time because it's hard for junk food to nourish my body, and satisfy my true hunger. So I would go through periods of "healthy eating," and then go overboard with a binge. This whole thing is such a mind game for me; it always has been. To say I felt defeated is an understatement. 

For the last several months, I've been keeping track of my neighbor on Facebook with great interest. Katie has been losing weight and getting stronger. I secretly suspect her lost pounds have been walking down the sidewalk to my house, and finding a new home with me. She posts pictures of her workouts, her meal planning, and her before and after pics. She is having great success with portion control and working out 5-6 times a week.

When I lamented about my weight gain to my family, my little brother commiserated with me.

"Exercise is a tricky thing...it's the age of contradiction. You need to exercise more as you get older...but you have less energy and more aches. My opinion? If you aren't hungry, you're doing it wrong."

You know; I am not sure I've ever really experienced hunger for any length of time. I eat so often out of boredom; my body doesn't have a chance to get hungry. EVER. Those people who say, "I got so busy, I forgot to eat." WHAT? Who does that? Good lands, food is the one thing on my mind all day long. 

Beach Body on Demand workouts and the Portion Fix containers are helping me move toward
a healthier lifestyle. There is nothing extreme about this approach. I'm eating more calories
 than ever (1800-2100), and they are nutrient-dense calories. I love that I don't have to think
about calories now; I just fill up my containers, and hope I can finish them all before bedtime.

So this week, my neighbor Katie became my online coach. I now subscribe to Beach Body on Demand workout videos so that I have no excuses to avoid exercise when the bad weather hits. Using the 21 Day Fix plan, I have a collection of containers to help me measure out my food, and they help me with portion control. No food is off limits. I am eating carbs, fats, proteins, nut butters, and cheese. My online group of friends includes three of my neighbors, and we support one another in our efforts. 

My Luau personal pan pizza: barbecue chicken, spinach, pineapple, and cheese pizza. I forgot to add my peppers! Next time!

When I think about eating, I'm so happy that I can have foods I like; yogurt, peanut butter, chocolate protein shakes, bread, blueberries, apples, bananas, wraps, whole grain waffles, roasted cauliflower, butternut squash soup, and cottage cheese. I've eaten yummy chicken enchiladas and homemade pizzas made with wraps. When we went to a party a couple weeks ago, I ate two cookies, and just got right back to healthier eating the next day. No guilt; no remorse about a perceived setback. I just kept going.


Each night this week, I have gone to bed full, and somehow still have uneaten food from my plan. I'm eating lots more vegetables, whole grain carbs, and more fats. There is not room in my tummy for binge eating. I am full. 

(I know. I am confused, too.)


This is my third week on the program, and when Chuck and I went to the theater this weekend, I wore my red sweater dress, and felt great. Sunday, I discovered a pair of jeans that I just knew would never get past my hips, but I not only was able to zip them up, they actually felt great and looked okay!

Have I lost a ton of weight? Nope, but I've lost six pounds, and two inches from my waist. For those of you who are annoyed with the whole diet/weight loss fixation, I understand. This is something I am doing for me. You do you; I'll do me. We're all just doing the best we can with what we know.

Arthritis has been my constant companion for a few years now. When I am eating healthy, and keep my weight at a level that is healthy for me (not skinny, but not "off-the-charts" heavy for my frame), my joints thank me by not screaming in pain. My knees already have more range of motion, thanks to yoga and working out regularly.

Please just wish me well. I'll keep working on the emotional issues that have driven me to binge eating by recognizing what I'm feeling, and being willing to be vulnerable enough to talk about it. I'll keep practicing good self-care habits, like exercising, eating healthy food, and reading uplifting articles and books. I'll try to focus on loving myself where I am, and loving myself enough to keep pushing forward to a healthier lifestyle. Finally, the desperate feelings are disappearing, and they are being replaced by a sense of hope and calm.


10 comments:

  1. I"m very glad that you found a plan that is healthy and one that is giving you success. The battle of weight is one I'm familiar with. I had lost weight and then a few started creeping back on. And you would have thought I gained it all back. I'll think of you. Think of me as I continue to try to eat healthy and exercise my body. Good post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing us both the dedication it takes to stick to our guns, especially during the holidays. Thinking of you, too, Anne. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. You asked us to wish you well. And I do. I wish you SO well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Crystal. I hope that this next chapter of your life is all you want it to be. Wishing you well, too.

      Delete
  3. By the way what kind of butter did you have in your coffee and tea? The only kind that I was told in the bulletproof diet was kerrygold and another brand which I cannot get.kerrygold is grass-finished fed butter the kind I got was unsalted which tastes better than the Salted one. So you can enjoy butter because if you look at the ingredients it's much different than any other kind of butter that is not grass-finished fed. As for me I do not eat any grains because of the fact that it's all GMO and if it isn't it has a lot of additives dyes preservatives Etc in it and it is not fit to eat. I have yet to see something that's worthwhile like it was 30 years ago when we didn't have all this junk added. I love cottage cheese also but I cannot find any that doesn't have MSG or carrageenan and so now I'm going to have to do a search to find the real thing because both of those are carcinogens with a lot of other toxic properties. So what we used to eat or what's recommended is going to require checking out the label finding how it is gotten out of the fields, how it is processed and what is added to it. What a bunch of trouble and wasted time but is it wasted if it will help us to be healthy and to lose go to foodbabe.com and to the health Ranger Mike Adams. These are two amazing people who have done deep research and are coming up with answers and making a difference in restaurants all over the world like Starbucks Subway McDonald's chipotle Etc and actually have had so much effect in reducing some of the harmful ingredients found in our Foods. I had an appointment with an ND today and found out that there are many minerals that I do not have in my body that is needed to help me be healthy. Like the calcium from the hair analysis test showed three times more than the normal amount 150 vs 50 this throws off my magnesium causes me to gain weight causes my blood pressure to be extremely high Etc and I could go on about the minerals I don't have. The essence of which before I get the supplements sent to begin taking today, Concentrace by Tracemineralsresearch.com. And I will be taking 40 drops working up to 80 drops a day to hopefully help balance just this one synergistic cal-mag. There is a reason why we can't lose weight and it all boils down to in many cases deficiency in minerals where there are 76 of them that are needed in the body. Some are needed for mood some are needed for communication, peace. I was told I have no lithium and this is why I am super anxious all the time. Always working always trying to fix things and everybody else except me. Thanks for letting me dump. Good luck to you and I as we lose 30 pounds by the end of the year. I will be praying for us. Love, love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You realize I'm absolutely kidding about that absurd amount of weight loss by the end of the year, right??? Aunt Ann, I quit the Bulletproof diet because it was making me sick. It was not balanced at all, and I would not recommend it. Maybe you are having trouble with losing weight because of mineral imbalances, but for me, it is because I ate too much, and exercised too little. Seriously. Weight is coming off now that I am eating a healthy, balanced diet that is not restrictive in calories or food groups, and I am working out every day. I wish you the very best. I love you, too.

      Delete
  4. This was from your Aunt Ann it doesn't look like I got that in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you. I know how getting your weight down and being healthy can really help your life. Praying that all continues to go well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!