Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Always Jumping the Gun

Autumn is my favorite season, but you already know that if you know me at all. I have been looking forward to all of the autumnal pleasures; fall leaves, cups of hot tea, wearing slouchy hats and sweaters, and cuddling up under a blanket with a good book. I have been impatiently waiting for the cool weather to arrive. 

This morning I woke up to an invigorating 50 degrees. The house was chilly after running the house fan all night. I called Chuck while I pulled on long pants, a sweater, a pullover, hat, and gloves. He was on his way to work, and I wanted to talk to him while I walked. I couldn't wait to get out and enjoy the cool autumn weather. 

By the time I got down to the river, I was so uncomfortable. The sweater that felt as soft as cashmere when I pulled it over my head back at the house felt like itchy wool as my body sweated under all of the layers of clothes. The turtleneck was driving me crazy, and I used one hand to pull it off of my neck as I held my phone in the other. I peeled off the top sweater, wrapping it around my waist, and I removed my gloves. By the time I turned back and reached the hill above the river, the hat that seemed so jaunty and cool when I left the house felt like it was generating its own heat source. I carried it in my hands the rest of the way home. Maybe this wasn't the best day to start wearing all of my favorite fall clothes. 

Once again, I'd jumped the gun on the seasons. I totally forgot the advice Sharmel had given me about dressing for temperatures 20 degrees warmer than the one on the thermometer when exercising outdoors because of the heat our bodies generate. Her husband is in the National Guard, and had shared that tip with her. I usually remember, but today, I wanted to go full-out for fall.

When I got back to the house, I opened the kitchen window, and removed all of the too-hot layers of clothes. I still had plans for my morning for this perfect autumn day. Outside it's breezy and grey, which is great for making tea and cookies. I brewed a cup of orange tea, and made a batch of Chuck's favorite Sugar Jumbles cookies. Soothing acoustic music is my favorite for days like today, and I found some nice coffeehouse tunes on Spotify. 

Maybe the hat and sweater will be a better idea once fall is in full swing, and we're heading into winter. I just get so excited. I'm one of the first ones to don capris and flip flops in the early spring. I just try to ignore the fact that my toes are turning blue, and my legs are covered in goose bumps. Chuck and I both love the Christmas holiday season. Do you know how bad my husband is? He started asking on the first day of fall if we could decorate our Christmas tree. Now I love our tree. LOVE it. But I felt like putting it up on Halloween last year was pushing it a little bit. So I asked him to at least wait until Halloween. Wish us luck. Patience isn't one of the virtues we seem to have in excess.


Jumping the gun on the seasons. It's a thing with us. And we love it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!